Panther Handling

Roamer

Hi, general query as there seems to be lots of conflicting information, generally chameleons don’t like being handled but today after visiting a main reptile shop in my city I was told, handle panthers everyday, Jackson’s 3 times a week and yemens can be aggressive is this true.

Thanks

Hi, general query as there seems to be lots of conflicting information, generally chameleons don’t like being handled but today after visiting a main reptile shop in my city I was told, handle panthers everyday, Jackson’s 3 times a week and yemens can be aggressive is this true.

Thanks
I know while some species are better know for their attitudes, I’m pretty sure it’s dependent on the individual and how they feel with being handled. For example I have my girl, she was handled a LOT in her last home before I adopted her, now even with that handling and me working with her, she still can be nervous. Whereas there are other chameleons on here that have similar and opposite personalities. Also some chameleons can seem friendly and climb out of their cage but depending on their husbandry they might not like their enclosure and just want to escape.
Here’s an awesome blog on how to earn trust with your Cham!
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/#comments

I have 2 panthers, one very social, the other not so much. We work with them everyday but they call the shots lol. Both are males and from different breeders. Both breeders handled daily. I think panthers are kinda like people. Some are adventurous and some are not. As for veiled’s … I’ve seen very few friendly, I heard someone on here at one point say they plan our demise and I think they actually doooo 🤣 good luck you have gotten a great info from ghostbirb!!
Welcome to the forum, stick around everyone here is great!!!

I have a veiled and he is a rare case in that he is not AS grumpy as he should be. He will come the the front of the cage, let me pet his little mittens, and sometimes grab my finger. He does not hide or hiss at me (except for vet visits). But coming out of his cage requires bribery and he will be pissy for a couple days after. I consider myself lucky to have gotten such a ‘friendly’ one. 😅

Thanks everyone for clearing that up, I’ve had mixed reviews on our breeder/supplier, but feel more comfortable now, ours(Rizzla) always sits on show, never hides or hisses so we will start working with him daily.

I have a veiled who is not so grumpy. He's really sweet. In 1 1/2 years, he's only huffed at me once and that was recently. He comes to the front of his enclosure daily. I have to pluck him from his enclosure but once he's out he likes it. On occasion he will refuse to go back in his enclosure. I let him hang out on my hand or leg and he's perfectly satisfied.

I have a veiled who is not so grumpy. He's really sweet. In 1 1/2 years, he's only huffed at me once and that was recently. He comes to the front of his enclosure daily. I have to pluck him from his enclosure but once he's out he likes it. On occasion he will refuse to go back in his enclosure. I let him hang out on my hand or leg and he's perfectly satisfied.
How large a viv do you need for one

I have 2 panthers, one very social, the other not so much. We work with them everyday but they call the shots lol. Both are males and from different breeders. Both breeders handled daily. I think panthers are kinda like people. Some are adventurous and some are not. As for veiled’s … I’ve seen very few friendly, I heard someone on here at one point say they plan our demise and I think they actually doooo 🤣 good luck you have gotten a great info from ghostbirb!!
Welcome to the forum, stick around everyone here is great!!!
So my partner started handling our panther today and happens to walk past a large mirror, he changed colour and puffed himself up seeing his reflection.

So my partner started handling our panther today and happens to walk past a large mirror, he changed colour and puffed himself up seeing his reflection.
Yes, they don’t take kindly to seeing other chameleons including themselves. Its stressful. But they show their best dressed when another cham is in sight that’s for sure.

I've got a panther, veiled and a jacksons. My panther is most likely the one who will bite me, he is a little spicy and quite scared of my hands specifically. My veiled is very friendly, however I understand that this is very very rare and I most likely will not come across this again in my time with chameleons. My Jacksons I would say is also very scared of me, however he does not communicate it in a big bold way like other chameleons will. Most chameleons will gape, flash bright colors, puff out their gular etc. My Jacksons will give a kind of squint with his eyes, try to back up, and/or hunker down and basically wait to be eaten. Because Jackson's are more passive in their body language it is important to pay super close attention to them. Most people miss this because they are not bold in their expressions and think that they don't mind being handled but I believe (especially with my Jacksons) that they do mind and it does cause stress.

I only handle my chams for the following reasons: to weigh them, to do a physical check, take them to the vet, deep clean their enclosure, or to get some supervised outside time. Other than that they are animals that I enjoy taking care of their environment and observing them.

So realistically most chams do not "like" to be handled. Those that actively will come out of their cage to a human we first want to ensure there is not an issue or something missing with their enclosure. Because the most common reason for a "friendly" Chameleon is one that is not getting everything it needs out of its enclosure.

Personality is totally dependent on the chameleon itself. I have had three veileds. One pretty calm his entire life but now as he has gotten old chooses when he wants to be handled, another one that was quite shy and preferred his cage, and another that thought he was a Raptor from the Jurassic Park movie. He would literally chase me out of his cage, hissed, lunged and would bite.

Forcing handling with any chameleon can actually be harmful causing stress. So we really try to avoid this unless they want the interaction and of course only if their husbandry and needs are being met.

Hi thanks for this and all the sound advice, we don’t grab ours and lift him out just offer our hand and see if he wants to come out sometime he does others he doesn’t but always on his terms. Since joining the forum and asking questions and reading I’m quite content that our Cham is happy with his home and lifestyle, maybe a few more plants. He eats and poops well, and is a nice constant colour.

Back
Top Bottom