Screen or glass cage?

Fredde

Hello.

I have ordered a pair of Jacksons and will receive them in a month.

Now I will set about creating somewhere for them to live...
...and that brings me to my question.

Screen or glass doors?

Screen pros:
No reflection (I've read/heard that reflections can frighten/stress the chameleon)
Better ventilation

Screen cons:
Very difficult to regulate temperature and humidity to good levels.

I believe I can handle the ventilation issue, so it really boils down to reflection versus microclimate.

I live in Sweden, so the (indoor) climate here tends to be around 70F and 15% humidity for the next six months.

Raising the temperarure to 80 on a basking spot is no problem, but getting humidity to 70-80% won't work. Also, if I manage, the house will rot away:mad:
Another problem is that lowering nighttime temperature to 50 will be very difficult to acheive.

So, what to do?

Best regards, Fredrik

What I would suggest is a screen cage and you cover 2 or 3 of the sides with plastic to help keep the heat and humidity in. That would still allow for a proper nighttime temperature drop. I have done that with mine and it worked well. l'm from Canada, so get the humidity/heat in the winter issue :). Then in the summer, I remove the plastic since the humitity goes up a lot.

Screen over glass definitely

I have read that it is not just air circulation that is the reason for screen but also seeing their own reflection in the glass can stress them out.

I have read that it is not just air circulation that is the reason for screen but also seeing their own reflection in the glass can stress them out.

Both of these are myths. Don't believe them.

The only issue with glass terrariums are the cost verse the size. An Exoterra glass costs 4X the amount a screen cage does.

Jason

I have an exo-terra 18x18x24 that my 4 month old panther is in. I just purchased a 24x24x48 screen cage for him from DIY. Two Reasons: one being that he needs a bigger cage soon, and two: I currently use a dripper and hand spray and have an issue with drainage (more so when I install my rain dome), with a screen cage I can install a drainage system.

I will watch this thread with interest, living in Denmark and keeping a pair of Jackson's chameleons in glass enclosures each with 1 screen side panel and a screen top. I can provide the right temperatures day and night, but keeping consistent high humidity gives me a drainage challenge as I mist manually and often. Am considering trying a diy wood/screen combo for drainage advantages with a humidifier/fogger installation.
Spike.

I would go with a screened cage. If keeping the humidity up is an issue, you can always cover a couple sides with a shower curtain... if you go glass, you don't have those same options.

Chameleons need variation in temperature (especially) in their cages. It's very difficult to do in a glass enclosure. And that's aside from ventilation.

Proper glass enclosures are more expensive than screened.

Chameleons need variation in temperature (especially) in their cages. It's very difficult to do in a glass enclosure.

Where did you get this info?
Do you own glass chameleon cages?

Chameleons do need a temperature gradient, and its not difficult at all to achieve in exoterra glass habitats.

Didn't we just have the exact same question last week?
Welcome to the forum OP.

I have an exo-terra 18x18x24 that my 4 month old panther is in. I just purchased a 24x24x48 screen cage for him from DIY. Two Reasons: one being that he needs a bigger cage soon, and two: I currently use a dripper and hand spray and have an issue with drainage (more so when I install my rain dome), with a screen cage I can install a drainage system.

Add a Plant and you can eliminate your drainage and humidity issues. This is my DIY 24X24X48.

** the tree has grown to the top this is an old pic**
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you slide the bottom of the cage tray out with the plant in it for cleaning, or do you just clean around the plant while in the cage. I love the looks, just wondering how easy to clean. Thanks

Add a Plant and you can eliminate your drainage and humidity issues. This is my DIY 24X24X48.

** the tree has grown to the top this is an old pic**
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
After posting I found this https://www.chameleonforums.com/everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-glass-31937/ thread.

It gave the answers I wanted, so I was easy to convince :D

I will build a 4x4x2' cage with two wooden walls (don't know the proper English name for it, but in Sweden it's called Marine Plywood, at least it is sealed plywood) and two glass ones.

I will try to come back and post in-progress pics and then pics of the finished thing.

Thanks, Fredrik

Back
Top Bottom