White/albino dubia?

ChamOh

Established Member
anyone come across these? I noticed one of the little guys from 100 nymphs I bought is white!? :confused:

anyone else have some white dubies--maybe we could start a breeding program : P

It's probably just moulted. I dont know about roaches though, but I do remember thinking the same about an ugly 'white' cricket that I found before! I didn't realise that the bugs shed their skins too, lol!:eek: Felt a bit silly when I asked about it at the livefood shop!:eek::D

Just a molting! I am so glad to see this question pop up every now and then so I can look back on myself and laugh about when I thought I had a rare albino dubia.. heheh.

Freshly molted roaches are good to feed as they are very soft. In fact white superowrm and mealworms beetles can also be fed when they are freshly molted. Many things that wouldnt eat the beetles ordinarily will gobble them up at that time.

Digby Rigby _______________________

yet, my chameleons will never eat the soft white crickets...I'm always so excited when I can put one in....it's always ignored until it firms up... I guess I have chameleons who enjoy a good crunch.....

Howdy Matt,

Here's a few photos that I took on the 24th getting ready to answer your question that I knew you would eventually be posting :rolleyes::

Recently Molted Male Dubia (~1.75" now with wings):
MoltedMaleDubia_1.jpg

Male Dubia Long After Final Molting (~1.75"):
MaleDubia_2.jpg

Female Dubia Long After Final Molting (~1.5"):
FemaleDubia_3.jpg

Female Dubia Possibly Carrying a Load of Nymphs:
((1.75") Can't really tell from the photo but she is maybe 25% bigger (fat) than the other females. Looks like a queen bee :).)
FemalepregnantDubia_4.jpg

...I don't like the look of those spiky legs!:eek:
Howdy,

I know what you mean about those legs :eek:. Hissers are even more ominous looking (one reason that I don't use them anymore). I'm mostly feeding-off smallish mid-sized ones that aren't so spiky. Whenever I feed-off larger ones with spiked legs, I just pop-off the two largest legs. It slows them down just enough to keep them from finding a hiding spot before being eaten while crawling across the sides of the enclosure screen.

Back
Top Bottom