1 year old veiled chameleon:hissing and biting

wdissident

i got this veiled chameleonthe other day and hes a year old. but he hissing when i come close and he bit me the first night i got him probably because i was disturbing his sleep. now how do i introduce hand feeding? how long do you guys sit there holding a cup of insects till he actually goes for it? or would you wait a few weeks to hand feed.

takes sometimes one min sometimes 10 min i would just be patient maybe feed him and water him and leave his door open for a bit while you just watch him get him use to you being around that's all i stink you have to do. Chams don't really like to be handled but once they built a trusted relationship with you i think they wont mind it i been very lucky in having easy going chams.

my cam was like this left him for a few days then used to leave his door open with my hand in his cage stamd there for like 10 mins at a time then walk away then a hour or so later do it again, also let him see ur hand drop his food in. after a few days mine stopped hissing at me being near then i moved up to hand feeding him and it did take about 10 mins standing there with a cricket but then he took it and ever since then he been good as gold, i then started putting my hand near him leting him see the cricket then move it up my arm to my shoulder he sooned walked up my arm to feed, i do this every feeding now do throw some in as well as think it good for him to "hunt" now when i walk into the room he comes down to front of cage and walks straight out onto my arm i always reward him with some food. it takes time and alot of repertion but it can be done. i got him and 10 months old he now 13 months and as friendly as u could want he spends most of the day on my shoulder while i get on with stuff. its well worth the effort. if this isnt clear dont be afraid to msg me for more hints and tips.

Back
Top Bottom