45' degrees

TIMMYBOY

So my chams temps are 56' degrees in my room rite now I'm in the attic I have heat but cost alot of money do I need heat emmiters for my two vieleds !until I really need to turn the heat on in house

So my chams temps are 56' degrees in my room rite now I'm in the attic I have heat but cost alot of money do I need heat emmiters for my two vieleds !until I really need to turn the heat on in house

ooooooooh noooooooooo

warm them up, dont be silly... If your chameleon is actually frozen, you would want to warm them back up as gently as possible. Warming too fast is bad.

But yea, find a way to trap the heat from the light inside the enclosure but keep the chameleon away from the light. THink mcguyvery

wow, Putting spot bulbs on a dimmer helps loads with getting the temps under controll in cold conditions. OF coarse the conditions change rapidly so there are two climates you must be prepared for. Having a controller like the hygrotherm would help immensely in cold ambient air
SHower curtains work well to trap in heat and humidity

I wonder if maybe you could use a beardy heat pad to warm up some stones underneath the enclosure. Might look a bit more fancy like.
Heating pads from the drug store are nearly the same thing, just the ones for people get hot enough to burn you and maim your chameleon.

In contrast I could only imagine how bad dead crickets stink when they are heated in wet rocks and sand; gross.

I vote you invest on a diy basking lamp and stand and a couple 50-60w incandescent spot lamp bulbs. like 10$ total

They have reflectors built in that focus the light in a great spread pattern in close range.
Adding a humidifier(perhaps when a thermometer reads below 50ºF) and a plastic chute designed to dump fog onto them for 15m every 30 min. The heat transferred from the vaporized water sticking to their skin, combined with the heat from the light will keep them quite warm. So warm that you could over heat them if ti came on when it was already hot. Like a chameleon sauna or something...

It's best to keep your chams in a room that you can control. I've heard that chameleons can withstand night time temperatures of 50-60 degrees, but that's pushing it, and not ok for day time temperatures.

digestion

Side note: your guys won't be able to properly digest foods at those temps, therefore not getting every possible nutrient. You have to do something about the heat.

For nighttime temps that is pushing the lower boundaries. I would say it is OK every now and then, but not a nightly occurance.

Are your temperatures getting high enough during the day? Not just in the basking spot, but the rest of the enclosure?

You can add a ceramic heat bulb at night as they don't emit any light, just heat and either keep in on during the day, or use additional "regular" lights for daytime.

down to 50 is safe for babies and adults. I've had veileds for 20 years and even newly hatched babies have experienced temps at or near 50 each winter in my lizard building or in spring and fall outdoors. I leave my adults outside until temps near 40 (lower 40s) at night. But it is important to allow them to warm up during the day. If your ambient temp is 56 in the day, you should do something to warm things up(maybe wrap the cages, maybe add basking lamps or move the cages near a south facing window).

Wild veileds in parts of their range experience light night frosts. But they aren't in a cage then either and have tricks like climbing into rocks to avoid the extremest cold.

Last edited:
down to 50 is safe for babies and adults. I've had veileds for 20 years and even newly hatched babies have experienced temps at or near 50 each winter in my lizard building or in spring and fall outdoors. I leave my adults outside until temps near 40 at night. But it is important to allow them to warm up during the day. If your ambient temp is 56 in the day, you should do something to warm things up(maybe wrap the cages, maybe add basking lamps or move the cages near a south facing window).

Wild veileds in parts of their range experience light night frosts. But they aren't in a cage then either and have tricks like climbing into rocks to avoid the extremest cold.

Wow, I never would have thought to do this on a daily basis. I know they can handle it, but was reluctant to expose mine to these temps regularly. Can I ask, when your night temps are going down into the 40s or 50s, what are the daytime temps hitting. I'm thinking perhaps I can leave my guys out longer that I am. Thanks.

I agree with Flux, I intentionally move my temps indoors into the 50's nightly.

To answer your question about heating up, you jsut want to make sure that they CAN get warmed up in the mornings. THe best ways to do this to ensure that the sun rises and stays on the cages in throughout the morning. Ambient temps outside play a role for sure, but if they can bask in direct sun to warm up, they can get what they need.

I keep mine outside while day time temps are in the mid 60's assuming they can get direct sun for a good portion of the day.

This is for Panthers in my case, some of the higher mountain species can, and would likely prefer, these cooler temps all the time.

To the OP, can you not invest in a space heater for just your room to fight off the chill. I have used a portable oil filled heater ($60) for a room heat and it worked just fine.

I agree with Saldarya.
Outdoors in real sunlight I don't consider day temp too critical- heck I've even seen bearded dragons breeding outside when day highs were only in the 60s- indoors they would be snoozing at those temps. Real sunlight works real well with real lizards. They heat up like bricks and retain and build heat in sunlight.
Indoors under artificial lighting its a little different.

Back
Top Bottom