Albino? :O

Those translucent ones are beutiful, do you know what would happen if you breeded (Bred?) one with a normal veiled cham...?

Hope this helps.
If you breed a low translucent veiled to a normal veiled, you will get about 50% low translucents and 50% normal offspring. If you breed a low translucent veiled to a low translucent veiled, you will get about 50% low translucents, 25% normals and 25% high translucent offspring.

If you breed a high translucent veiled to a normal veiled, you will get 100% low translucent offspring.

If you breed a high translucent veiled to a low trans, you will get about 50% low translucent and 50% high translucent offspring.

If you a breed a high translucent to a high translucent, you will get 100% high translucent offspring.

I have yet to see a totally albino (translucent) cham. I wonder if the translucent parts shed. Does anyone know?

Pictures borrowed from FLChams.

sm_FrostWebsite3.jpg

sm_GatorTransVeiled.jpg

Albinism while occurring occasionally in nature is most prevalent in private breeding colonies. Albinism is a mutation that will occur more often in captive breeding due to a lack of variety in the blood lines (gene pool). Experienced breeders guard against this but the probability of mating a pair wherein both carry genetically recessive alleles will always produce albinos. The variety of mating options in the wild naturally yield fewer albinos. A wild albino is less likely to mate and reproduce because an albino lacks the melanin pigment (coloring abilities) to attract and/or impress a female. Also, with no color camouflage predators easily spot them among the flora & fauna.

Owning an 100% albino comes with great responsibility - you are in uncharted waters with regard to uv, basking, etc where the normal melanin plays a vital role. Also - albinism is quite often accompanied by very poor eyesight or at a minimum hypersensitivity to light.

No I'm not a vet - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!

I've always been highly skeptical about the supposed albino xantholophus. I've unpacked hundreds of jacksonii from farmed origins here in the U.S. and have seen similarly colored individuals, some of which were just chameleons in bad shape. As you know, jacksonii are extremely variable, especially the ones of hawaiian origin (which may be intergrades anyway), and frankly, the famous "albino" photo, with such low resolution, looks more to me like a really light colored "red-morph" xantholophus.

xanth.jpg

Cheers,

Fabián

Looking at Syn's post, albinoism and transluscentism :)confused:) would seem to be different traits.
Albinoism is caused by a double recessive allele.
High transluscent chams would have a double co-dominant transluscent allele, while low transluscent would have 1 transluscent allele and 1 normal allele.

Looking at Syn's post, albinoism and transluscentism :)confused:) would seem to be different traits.
Albinoism is caused by a double recessive allele.
High transluscent chams would have a double co-dominant transluscent allele, while low transluscent would have 1 transluscent allele and 1 normal allele.

That's what I was thinking.

maybe not albino all over

you will get High end (very albino) Low end (a little bit albino) and normal.

Im sorry but there is no such thing as 'high', low, or 'a bit' albino! Thats like 'a bit pregnant'!
Either its albino or its not. Its a recessive genetic trait. I think your perhaps referring to Luecistic animals?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom