Algae in dripper

spottea

My cham lives outside, and her dripper is on a shelf above her. I don't get that much sun there, but the dripper keeps getting algae in it. I do scrub it out, but that stuff is stubborn. Will the algae do any harm?

My cham lives outside, and her dripper is on a shelf above her. I don't get that much sun there, but the dripper keeps getting algae in it. I do scrub it out, but that stuff is stubborn. Will the algae do any harm?

I'm not sure really. If the thing is completely covered in algae probably not great. A little in the tubing or valve may not matter. However, algae needs light to grow, so you could cover the dripper itself with a dark bag or container and possibly paint the tubing to help prevent growth.

The dripper needs refilling about every other day. There isn't that much in there, just down in the corners, and some on the bottom. I did get new silicone tubing for it the other week, and today I bought a new dripper. That way, I can change them out, bleach the dirty one,let it dry out etc.
Keeping it dark with a bag is a good idea, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom