All jackson chameleon owners:

faithxw

I'm new, and was recently given two female Jackson chams.. I was told by a user here, that my Jackson's are very hard to keep, maintain, and care for. Basically saying they will most likely die within just a few months.. I'm doing everything I can, and know to do.. any advice or opinions on this topic? I don't want my babies to die. That was my whole point in me taking them. But its kind of heartbreaking when I'm constantly thinking and wondering if this will be the day they will die?!

I'm very glad you have found us. I don't keep jacksons but many here do and I'm sure someone here will come along soon to help you.:)

Thank you, Kate! Are there any types of chams who are easier to keep that u know of, for beginners? Since I am new to the cham world?

Thank you!! Any opinions on the chameleons that are called 'graceful chams' ? I have a friend who has one, and knows nothing!

Thank you, Kate! Are there any types of chams who are easier to keep that u know of, for beginners? Since I am new to the cham world?

Why don't you stick with what you have already got? All chams are high maintanance. It would be good if you could relax and learn as much as you can here. Whoever told you they would die soon is entitled to an opinion but with lots of the correct care hopefully they will not. Angiel has given you a link to a care sheet which I hope will help. You are going to have a crash course in chameleon keeping and we are here to help you if you want.:)

I'm honestly afraid of what I have gotten myself into with these two Jackson's. Since I am a beginner, I would like to have a type of cham who is suitable for a beginner. I have heard nothing.but negative things about Jacksons.. anyways!

Thank you!! Any opinions on the chameleons that are called 'graceful chams' ? I have a friend who has one, and knows nothing!

The problem with gracefuls is that they are relatively inexpensive for pet shops to buy, and they often get sold to complete beginners like your friend. They are almost all wildcaught imports with parasites, suffering from poor handling during their long trips around the globe, dehydrated, and stressed. By the time they get to the local retailer they are in fairly poor shape. If your friend comes to this forum and reads through the sticky messages about basic cham care that will get them off to a decent start. Get the cham drinking and eating reliably, then take a fresh fecal sample to a vet for parasite analysis. Then, once the parasite types are known and how heavy the load is, decide whether or not to treat the cham. Sometimes it is better not to treat if the load is low. Just monitor and check it occasionally. A healthy cham can handle some parasites without a problem (and they will pick up more from their insect feeders over time anyway).

I'm new, and was recently given two female Jackson chams.. I was told by a user here, that my Jackson's are very hard to keep, maintain, and care for. Basically saying they will most likely die within just a few months.. I'm doing everything I can, and know to do.. any advice or opinions on this topic? I don't want my babies to die. That was my whole point in me taking them. But its kind of heartbreaking when I'm constantly thinking and wondering if this will be the day they will die?!

Exactly why did this person say this? Was there a specific reason? Were they wild caught? IF so, get a fecal done on them and see if they have any internal parasites. Are you going to handle them every second of every day? If so, don't.
I find this notion a bit disturbing. It takes some common sense for the chare of chameleons.
Post photos of your set up, tell us what you are feeding and how often. Chameleons in general don't live as long as other pets, however, there is no reason to assume they are going to die tomorrow unless your care is awful.

The more info we have the more help we can provide.

I'm honestly afraid of what I have gotten myself into with these two Jackson's. Since I am a beginner, I would like to have a type of cham who is suitable for a beginner. I have heard nothing.but negative things about Jacksons.. anyways!

There are lots of us who started off with a jax and didn't necessarily lose them! Depending on the climate setup you can provide and how quickly you pick up the basics on cham care, keeping your jacksons doesn't have to be negative. Compared to other "beginner" herps, any cham is going to be hard for a newbie really. The biggest differences between taking on a veiled and a jax is providing their specific climate conditions supplementing them correctly.

Jax like cooler and more humid conditions than veileds. You can certainly provide this with our suggestions. Jax are more sensitive to vitamin and mineral supplementation. Again, we can help you deal with it.

First, read the "basic husbandry" sticky articles and the links you already have. I think they will get you on the right track for now. Get to know your two for a while and let them settle in. You may find you like them so much they will stay for good!

AJA-not sure why this certain user said this awful comment. There was no specific reason, I just got a random private message telling me he had some and they died, as well as the blunt comment about mine dying. I got my two Jackson's from a breeder, and they are healthy (eating and drinking well, after they settled in) they are approx one year or so old, and have.been eating crickets quite well, as well as mealworms. They are housed seperately, andare fed well, as well as misted often. They don't seem to eat until they get hungry. In my opinion, I'm doing well for a beginner. And have no intentions of intentionally killing them. I see them as my kids. I would like to.be able to hold them often, but have been told it is a no no, a big no no.

Carlton- thank you for your encouraging words, they help me out greatly, and make.me feel much better! Now if only I could hold them more often. Haha

Carlton- thank you for your encouraging words, they help me out greatly, and make.me feel much better! Now if only I could hold them more often. Haha

Well, don't hold your breath! And, welcome to the world of chams...we as keepers have learned not to expect to be appreciated or especially liked by them regardless how much time, worry, and $$ we put into their care! Some will not mind handling and others will always resent it. They are new, unsettled, and stressed right now so give them their space and don't expect too much. Separate them as soon as you can as this will help them establish their new territories and ease their anxiety. Jax tend to be fairly docile...they show their stress differently than a veiled might. While a veiled might bluff, hiss or attempt to bite if it doesn't want to be handled, a jax will tend to hide from view, be very shy and timid instead.

AJA-not sure why this certain user said this awful comment. There was no specific reason, I just got a random private message telling me he had some and they died, as well as the blunt comment about mine dying. I got my two Jackson's from a breeder, and they are healthy (eating and drinking well, after they settled in) they are approx one year or so old, and have.been eating crickets quite well, as well as mealworms. They are housed seperately, andare fed well, as well as misted often. They don't seem to eat until they get hungry. In my opinion, I'm doing well for a beginner. And have no intentions of intentionally killing them. I see them as my kids. I would like to.be able to hold them often, but have been told it is a no no, a big no no.

I think there is a button in your message section where you can report messages of this kind.:D

It's not that you can NEVER hold them, just that you need to get to know their individual tolerances for disturbance. One really great way to have a nice relationship with such a solitary secretive creature is to teach it that you are a source of good things like favorite insect treats. After all, they need to learn that you are not going to eat them. If yours were in captivity for a while at the breeder's maybe they are already clued into this. They will just need to recognize YOU and add you to their "safe but annoying large funny looking intruder" list. Another thing I do for my chams is set up a nice basking area a big houseplant in a convenient window and carry them to it as a sort of treat. They can learn that a trip out of the cage can be enjoyable and that you are the transporting perch.

I have a Jackson's and a panther and I do not think the Jackson's is much harder to keep than the panther. They are pretty similar in their needs. I think the biggest difference is that my Jackson's has a harder time shedding and doesn't drink as readily. I solve this with longer mistings. I recommend using a mist king. Mine goes off four times a day for 5 minutes. I also feed him hornworms to help keep him hydrated. The other main difference is the Jackson's requires less supplementation.

P.S. hand feeding has helped to teach him that I am not scary and he loves to go outside for real sunshine.

I am trying my best to be patient. It's just that I see everyone holding their babies, (mainly veiled ones it seems) and I'm so so jealous! Like, why can't I.hold mine. (i am disabled, from a car wreck, and just holding them is a big relaxation) but! I'm not disabled to the point where I can't care for them. So don't jump down my throats, people. Ha, anyways, mine are still small, about 5 inches or so long, and I'm trying my.best with them. I've noticed already that one is very shy, and not so adventurous. As the other one, is more outgoing, and I guess you'd say, well, she is more active than the other? Their personalities are very different. I'm just wanting the relationship with them, that I see.others have with their.babies! Everyone seems to have pics with their chams in hand, and I'm like so very jealous!

if you have some specific questions, please pm me! id be more than happy to answer :) i actually wrote one of the caresheet blogs that was mentioned. otherwise, i think if you do your research and have everything up and running correctly before you get your jacksons, they will be fine. but this is not your case. just try and get their setup as proper as possible and keep an eye out for illness, thats all you really can do for right now. if they are healthy, jacksons are wonderful to keep once they are settled in! :)

Back
Top Bottom