Am I raising a picky eater?

MF_

Hi
My juvenile veiled chameleon ate the batch of worms I gave him just as soon as I brought him home. Then as a thoughtful mom I introduced him to crickets and dubias. (all conveniently gutloaded as dusted with his vitamins)
Now, the issue is that as soon as he tasted crickets she never touched other bugs. E hasn't even tried the dubias... The worms... RIP...
He is with us only for less than a week I don't want him to starve as he is still adapting to his new home. On the other hand, I didn't think he should be eating crickets only.

Need some tips.
Thank you in advance

Hi. It’s best to offer a variety of healthy appropriately sized feeders. For some chameleons, roaches are an acquired taste, but do keep offering them. Make sure not to over dust with supplements. If your feeders are looking like powdered donuts, that’s too much. I put a scant pinch in at all deli cup and let the feeders walk/move around and coat themselves. You want to use a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding and then vitamin D3 and multivitamin are each given two feeding a month (or every other week). Also, make sure your feeders are small enough. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big. I prefer to give my chams smaller feeders to ensure they don’t struggle with them. If you aren’t using some sort of feeding station, I suggest doing so. It’s good when your chams know exactly where their food will be.
You don’t say what type of worms you’ve been feeding. Some worms don’t move very much, or at least not as active as crickets. Some types of worms I will hand feed or offer in a small cup by themselves and before other feeders. Silkworms and hornworms I offer on the back of my hand to build/reinforce trust. Bsfl and waxworms often move slowly, so they go in a cup that I hold up for my chams to see and eat from. Then, some chams are secretive about eating, so you have to leave the food and walk away. I have one like that, but he will eat from a cup. I just have to be patient with him. I often let my bsfl pupate into flying treats to let my chams hunt a bit. Lastly, make sure to feed your feeders well so they are nutritious.
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom