Am I really not ready for a panther chameleon?

birdieelizabeth

Hi everyone! I have been researching chameleons for about a month now, spending a couple hours every day online reading. It seems like there is so much content out there saying how hard it is to have a panther chameleon, how it's not a beginner reptile, how only the most advanced person should own one, how they will die quickly if I hiccup loudly in their presence, etc.

Now, it's true: I have never owned a chameleon before. But I am familiar with extensive and complicated husbandry because I naively adopted sugar gliders 15 years ago and had to become an expert in marsupials, Australian arboreal environments, accidental breeding (the mama was pregnant), raising insects for feeding, including gut-loading, etc. Though I lost the gliders in a divorce, I did a good job for several years creating an environment that kept them not only healthy but as happy as they could be within the confines of captivity. (Side note: I do NOT recommend them as pets.) I also am experienced with finch husbandry and breeding (not extremely relevant, but...).

This all started because I don't have any pets at the moment and am interested in reptile husbandry. So I went to a (supposedly) reputable reptile store in my area and fell in love with a friendly adult male panther chameleon there. Everything I'm reading would suggest I should NOT make the purchase because of my inexperience. But I feel like my prior experience, combined with my commitment level, would mean I would be a good chameleon keeper.

I have the space for an enclosure, a reptile vet nearby, and all the time in the world to devote to learning about this. What do you all think, given your experience?

As long as you’re willing to do research and are open to learning new things from new people then I see no reason for you to not! You’ve already done more than most when it comes to caring for chameleons, most people buy them on an impulsive decision and don’t care to do the proper research for it which ends in a very short lifespan. I will say getting into chameleons was definitely the hardest thing in all of my reptile experience just due to all the specifics you have to follow with misting, humidity, plants etc… if you feel comfortable with all of this then I say you do it! When I first got into keeping chameleons I was completely lost and this forum has helped soooo much and I really would be lost without everyone’s help here, fast forward 8 months and now I have 3 different type of chameleon species and they’re all healthy and lovely animals!

Hi and welcome! Like @yungzerk said, as long as you’re willing to do the work, go for it. I wish I would have done more research before adopting my guy. He was a rescue and I had no experience with reptiles at all, but he is now thriving. It can be done successfully, but it is a lot of research and work. I just suggest getting your set up complete and a husbandry review here before you bring him home. That would be the best way to go about it. Ask any questions you need. Everyone here is so open and non judge mental. Welcome to the chamily!

Hi and welcome! Like @yungzerk said, as long as you’re willing to do the work, go for it. I wish I would have done more research before adopting my guy. He was a rescue and I had no experience with reptiles at all, but he is now thriving. It can be done successfully, but it is a lot of research and work. I just suggest getting your set up complete and a husbandry review here before you bring him home. That would be the best way to go about it. Ask any questions you need. Everyone here is so open and non judge mental. Welcome to the chamily!
Thank you for the more compact version 😅 sometimes I tend to ramble!

You’ve been given great info and these animals are captivating so be ready to become addicted! I highly recommend chameleon academy with bill strand. He has a care guide for each species that is excellent and watching Neptune the chameleon videos. I feel you are committed, and as for purchasing the little lady from the pet store, if you feel the need to bring her home do so. Girls need a little extra care and husbandry spot on to thrive, but you are planning on giving her the best care she can get so don’t worry that it’s the local petstore, I am a firm believer our pets find us sometimes and this just may be one instance. Good luck and stick around if you do decide, you’re in great hands here!!! Welcome!

Ahh…fellow ramblers. 😂 I had never had any reptiles ever and the most exotic animals I had were gerbils when I was a little kid. Without even knowing what a chameleon even really looked like irl, I adopted my stepdaughter’s female veiled. The stuff she came with was all wrong and had I not found the forum so quickly, it would have been a very sad experience. The biggest thing that you need to be aware of is that it is costly to set up properly for a chameleon. If you aren’t able or willing to spend in the vicinity of about $500 (not including the price of the chameleon), then you may want to either wait or rethink if you want one. Your experience has little really to do with it. It’s your willingness and ability to spend and learn. There are some awesome resources to learn. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ This site has husbandry programs, podcasts, videos and even an e mag. Then there is https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ and not only does she have a video for just about everything, but she has partnered with Pangea and created an affordable kit for starting out with a chameleon. She has two versions that you can find here. https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/reptile-kits It really is the best deal you’ll find for all of the stuff included. All you need is safe live plants and a chameleon.
Btw, male panther chameleons are the sweetest and I hate to say easiest, but they aren’t as moody as veileds and no egg laying to worry about. I don’t know why, but mine are always so very sweet. So, follow your heart and wallet and we are here and will offer whatever help we can for you to succeed. :)

Welcome to the forum. First off the most important piece of advice I can say is be open to feedback. This is how we all learn and you will find the members in this forum are eager to not only help you learn but to make sure you have the very best experience. Every piece of advice is given with care here. Most of us here started where you are now, step one of the OMG I love it and need it in my life phase. While some may have done a little more research than others we all start here. I am the impulse buyer and my name is Becca. I warn you that this can be a very addictive hobby and Chameleon Math is a thing... 1 easily becomes 2 and before you know it 3.

Note: We all ramble perhaps too much, if we are overly explaining stuff I apologize in advance. I happen to be one of those people but it is simply because I am one that really likes details to fully understand what someone is trying to teach me.

The fact that you are familiar with exotic pets gives you a leg up for the simple fact with exotics finding the right information and even having a qualified vet is a very real thing. So you will understand why there is not a book you can buy on how to keep chameleons because the information changes as advances are made in the hobby.

For the little man you found at the pet store. My biggest piece of feedback is buy a temp cage for quarantine before you introduce him to a permanent home filled with plants and everything he will need. And do not cross contaminate anything from the temp cage. This is due to the risk of him carrying a parasite load. Not all parasites are treated the same and the cleaning depending on type can change quite a bit. So I would get a fecal tested and make sure that comes back clean.

Also posting pics of him here so we can review them and make sure we are not seeing any physical health issues will be helpful for you as you move forward in your decision on this boy.

I too am a rambler 😅

Reading your post, your experience with animals, etc. I’m confident in saying you’d handle a panther no problem. I honestly feel if you’re just a humble person willing to cross examine information, be open to advice, put the animal first, etc. then chameleons for the most part are easy. I feel the people that struggle tend to do so because they think they know better and can’t take advice… You know those people that are so certain and narrow minded all the time even with things they have no knowledge of.

Hello and welcome to Chameleon Forums. I'm @ChamelaChameleon, I also belong to the ramblers. I'm willing to testify, in Chameleon court, that being open to the advice here will help give your Cham a great life. I adopted a Veiled Chameleon with out any knowledge. After 1 week, I knew I was in trouble and that my Cham was living in a death trap and being overdosed on D3. I frantically, in a complete panic, reached out to this forum. For 3 weeks straight, in panic mode all 3 weeks, they tolerated my million and 1 questions. People here worked with me to create an environment for Carmelo to thrive. 8 months later I purchased a Panther. They helped me automate the environment which makes my job easy. The only daily chore for care is feeding. Of course poop clean up is based on demand. When I think back on the first month with Carmelo, it brings me to tears because he was doomed to death. Those 1st pictures before I reached out to CF are horrifying. My pictures today are amazing and they bring me joy.

Chameleon academy https://chameleonacademy.com/ is the best source of info and will give you the best start. The best advice is set up everything well in advance of getting your chameleon and do not cut any corners. It will be expensive up front but will pay off in the long run. Try to automate as much as possible with timers and get your chameleon from a well established breeder. Welcome to the cham fam!

Back
Top Bottom