Anoles running rampant

So technically rampant may not be the best term. So while finishing my enclosure I had my pothos and ficus outdoors for awhile. Apparently some Anoles thought one of the plants looked like a decent place to lay eggs. So now I have two (hopefully) baby anoles hiding among the various plants and branches of my Veileds enclosure. The are too small to do much harm or take down any of the food items. But I can't catch the little devils. Any tips on how to remove them without a complete breakdown? My biggest concern is possible parasite cross contamination.

A picture says more than a thousand words:
aid30188-900px-Capture-a-Pet-Lizard-from-the-Wild-Step-5.jpg

Just put food in the bottom and be patient

There's always a small risk of your cham picking up something when they're outside, but that's a risk worth taking if you see how much they enjoy the sun. ;)

So technically rampant may not be the best term. So while finishing my enclosure I had my pothos and ficus outdoors for awhile. Apparently some Anoles thought one of the plants looked like a decent place to lay eggs. So now I have two (hopefully) baby anoles hiding among the various plants and branches of my Veileds enclosure. The are too small to do much harm or take down any of the food items. But I can't catch the little devils. Any tips on how to remove them without a complete breakdown? My biggest concern is possible parasite cross contamination.

If they hatched in your cage, they are unlikely to have any parasites except those your chameleon will give them. Parasites can be problematic, but a healthy animal with a healthy immune system will not suffer any ill effects and they will be asymptomatic. There are scientists that believe a parasite load is beneficial. I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Well the vet already did a fecal and gave me an all clear. The bottle idea is something I was bouncing around in my head already, just didn't know if it'd work with anoles. I've only been able to spot one the last few days, thinking maybe he munched on one already.

Anoles can get stuck in feeder cups pretty easy. If you just lay out a deep one with a few crickets in it, you may find the next day no crickets and 1-2 happy anoles.

Those baby anoles will be eaten before you can do anything about it, happens to me often in Florida.

Sweet. Then I won't stress the cham by rumaging through and trying to catch the little bugger. Just nab if I see him in an easy spot, or wait for his inevitable demise. And heres a picture of him coming inside after a little outdoor basking last week, because let's face it, we all love cham pictures. Weathers been crappy lately and haven't gotten a chance to build his outdoor enclosure yet.

Attachments

• 20160802_164131.jpg
    20160802_164131.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 122
My vet advised against letting them eat anoles because he said they carry parasites. They can even get parasites from the anoles pooping in their enclosure. We do fecals all the time and often somebody has something. I never see my boys eat them but Lottie loves everything and I can't stand to see her eat one so my husband covered her cage completely in screen and I never see them in her cage anymore. The outside lizards love the cham enclosure because of the water. It's hard for them to find water to drink. We never feed outside so they can't be after the feeders. My husband does most of our feeding because I don't like the bugs and it's sad for me to have to feed the cute little worms and the hubby likes being in the air conditioning. :)

Back
Top Bottom