any advice 2 month new chameleon owner

chamr.tinkles

Hii, everytime my chameleon sees me it starts moving towards me fast so I open the cage and he gets out and roams around but if he’s about fall off something I have my hand around there just incase he hisses at me or when I put my hand near him so he likes when I take him outside but just not me ?? Any suggestions also what do you guys think about my set up this is the cage and every 2 days I leave him outside in this tree with his cage next to it for a couple hours so he can get some sun. I’m also concerned I don’t see him drink water but I mist 2-3 times a day and the urine part is always white so he’s hydrated? He eats 10-12 crickets every 2 days. Some bell peppers sometimes I also feed him silkworms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi and welcome to the forum! I would recommend filling out this husbandry form so we can make sure your husbandry is correct.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem-

--------------

Please Note:
1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the forum! Sometimes chameleons want to always come out of their cage because they aren’t in a healthy environment and don’t have the right care. Definitely fill out the husbandry form @ToastyCham has provided. I must say you have a beautiful veiled cham.

Be very careful with leaving him in the tree. I mean it does look perfect but if a bird catches a glimpse if him, he is dinner! cant really tell if its in a screened in porch. Many times they will run towards you to defend their space. Mine grabs onto the doors screen to let me know he wants out! if it is a screened porch, i want one!🤗 you just need to do a thorough area check to make sure no escapes exits. i would do it weekly to be on the safe side.

The repti Zoo fluorescent compact light isn't that good for veiled chameleons you should switch to a t5 or t10 reptile sunlight. That should help set it up to 8 to 10 inches away from the basking area to shine down on.

Oh, not sure if someone answered, get rid of the blue light asap. Blue and red lights can cause blindness in chams. the ubv needs to be linier. The one you have the uvb rays only go down 3". I use reptisun 24" with a 5.0 HO(high output). Arcadia makes one too and should be 6% but i have never used it. He has access to sun which is good but MBD is so harmful and terrible its to be avoided at all costs! Depending on his basking branch and the distance from it, a 60 -75 watt incandesant white bulb will work for basking. No lights or heating gadgets needed at night. As long as temp does not drop below 50 degrees. their internal temp goes up a few degrees when they sleep. Hence the cool pjs!

Back
Top Bottom