Anyone have a petco cham?

Sugybooks

I don't support petco! Sickly little guys every time I have ever been inside the store.
Anyways anyone have a success story with a petco cham? What did he/she grow up looking like?
I had a petco cham about 3 years ago. He died within 4 days :/. Just curious is all.

I did my research before buying one this time and thanks to this forum I have a awesome and healthy male veiled cham from FLChams :)

I used to occasionally go to Petco to pick up Super Worms. Every time I would go there I almost came home with an animal. They constantly have three or four baby Veiled in an enclosure together. Temperature always seemed to be low 50s, humidity was normally sitting around 30%, no sign of UVB, no sign of any kind of remotely acceptable husbandry. One of the employees even told me that one of the smaller once was being 'bossed around' by one of the larger ones, and was probably going to die because of it. It's infuriating to me. I swear every time I went in I just wanted to rescue them. Sadly, I knew that even if I took every single Chameleon they had they would just order more. It's an awful place, and has had some of the worst conditions that I have ever seen for reptiles.

I used to occasionally go to Petco to pick up Super Worms. Every time I would go there I almost came home with an animal. They constantly have three or four baby Veiled in an enclosure together. Temperature always seemed to be low 50s, humidity was normally sitting around 30%, no sign of UVB, no sign of any kind of remotely acceptable husbandry. One of the employees even told me that one of the smaller once was being 'bossed around' by one of the larger ones, and was probably going to die because of it. It's infuriating to me. I swear every time I went in I just wanted to rescue them. Sadly, I knew that even if I took every single Chameleon they had they would just order more. It's an awful place, and has had some of the worst conditions that I have ever seen for reptiles.
Ageeed ! They don't keep up on humidity, they are in glass enclosures that don't seem to be maintained as much as they should and the baby Cham's always look so sickly.. and there "dripper" is never dripping and it goes straight into a rock pond.. :/

I purchase my cham from petco, and initially had some trouble when i started with him. His color was NOT healthy at all when I purchased him and was clearly malnourished. It took time to get him fed correctly, and hydration was a huge issue when i first got him. Now he is doing great! Took a lot of love and patience here is an image from when i first purchased him, and another from recent (edited)
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG

I purchase my cham from petco, and initially had some trouble when i started with him. His color was NOT healthy at all when I purchased him and was clearly malnourished. It took time to get him fed correctly, and hydration was a huge issue when i first got him. Now he is doing great! Took a lot of love and patience here is an image from when i first purchased him, and another from recent (edited)View attachment 183753 View attachment 183754
I like his green! Awesome job

I got mine from Petsmart. He's doing well so far!! only had him for a month though, and right now he's mad at us because we just moved his enclosure to a different part of the house. But he's good!! :)

Now we look at the Chams they have whenever we are in there and the one they currently had was PISSED! Dark black and at the bottom with her eyes closed. I was so upset. :(

IMG_4100.JPG
This is Frances she is a petco baby . Frances is right around 1 . July 20th will be a year with her . She has had a Battle with URI but she is stunning . She actually had a URI in that pic and was getting ready to lay her first clutch . It's beyond sad and maddening how petco/pet smart keep their lizards of all kinds . I no longer go in them . I leave with my heart braking for all their pets .

My veiled, Lucy, is from Petco and I really, really lucked out with her. She is strong and healthy without any signs of MBD, even after her first clutch. I did researrch and change pretty much everything that the Petco employee told me when I first got her. She was a bit bigger when I got her too, which I think has helped in terms of her having a better shot at staying healthy.

Attachments

• 20170503_111143.jpg
    20170503_111143.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 137
Wow all are actually pretty Chams! I was going in there for crickets but it was hurting the pocketbook and I would want to take all the pets home with me and save them... but my local petco does good with the fish at least. It is a small town store so it's nothing like the big city stores. Thanks for everyone who chimed in!

I think these franchises should get out of the chameleon business at the very least.. they recommend all the wrong information.. I had a petco cham 3-4 years ago died shortly after I got him from a RI. But was a very friendly cham! He chased us down in the glass before we bought him followed us like a lost puppy, really strange for a lizard. But this was him "Rango" I learned my lesson the hard way, don't follow petcos guidelines or recommendation.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.PNG
    IMG_0524.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
Wow all are actually pretty Chams! I was going in there for crickets but it was hurting the pocketbook and I would want to take all the pets home with me and save them... but my local petco does good with the fish at least. It is a small town store so it's nothing like the big city stores. Thanks for everyone who chimed in!

I think these franchises should get out of the chameleon business at the very least.. they recommend all the wrong information.. I had a petco cham 3-4 years ago died shortly after I got him from a RI. But was a very friendly cham! He chased us down in the glass before we bought him followed us like a lost puppy, really strange for a lizard. But this was him "Rango" I learned my lesson the hard way, don't follow petcos guidelines or recommendation.
URI are tough . Very difficult to actually get rid of . They turn fast to pneumonia . Most oral meds just keep URI at bay . Usually do need injections . Unfortunately with ejections theres a much higher risk of kidney failure . Frances was our first chameleon thank goodness for this forum @Nursemaia and @jannb and an amazing vet . I would have liked @Nursemaia to just move here to rehab Frances :love:.

URI are tough . Very difficult to actually get rid of . They turn fast to pneumonia . Most oral meds just keep URI at bay . Usually do need injections . Unfortunately with ejections theres a much higher risk of kidney failure . Frances was our first chameleon thank goodness for this forum @Nursemaia and @jannb and an amazing vet . I would have liked @Nursemaia to just move here to rehab Frances :love:.
Yeah for sure I didn't hear of this page till a couple months ago! :/

Back
Top Bottom