Anyone have hermit crab/other land crab experience?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Looking for some reassurance with setting up an enclosure. Always thought the land crab varieties were pretty cool and I’m going to get something while I wait for the dream chameleon that I want to be available. 🙂

I’d much appreciate some help(researched a good bit already), I can get more into details once I find someone that knows about them.

Well I got a new pet coming while I prep for a chameleon

75g got for $50 😀

Attachments

• IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 5
What are you getting, a hermit coconut crab??? 🦀😲

75 gallon?

View attachment 357984

Oh I wish, they are illegal to my knowledge though(I have seen them for sale which is strange).

I’m getting cardisoma guanhumi, I believe the second largest land crab behind coconuts. I don’t know why, but crustaceans always fascinated me. I really enjoy the possibilities for enclosures: land, climbing, freshwater, saltwater/mangroves, burrowing, etc…. All things to factor into one tank. Also can be pretty interactive.

Oh I wish, they are illegal to my knowledge though(I have seen them for sale which is strange).

I’m getting cardisoma guanhumi, I believe the second largest land crab behind coconuts. I don’t know why, but crustaceans always fascinated me. I really enjoy the possibilities for enclosures: land, climbing, freshwater, saltwater/mangroves, burrowing, etc…. All things to factor into one tank. Also can be pretty interactive.

That is awesome! I had a pair of fiddler crabs in a 10 gallon. They were so cool to watch. I set up a mini ecosystem for them. This was years ago…

That is awesome! I had a pair of fiddler crabs in a 10 gallon. They were so cool to watch. I set up a mini ecosystem for them. This was years ago…

Aw I remember having fiddlers way back in the day. Sadly I was a stupid kid and didn’t have them set up correctly at all. I think we actually got them from school or something.

Idk I’m probably just weird, but I feel crabs are so underrated. They can have amazing enclosures and many are very interactive with funny personalities. They also eat just about anything.

My bad haha! I felt like I should have put a picture up with that post… Didn’t have the tank totally done today so I was rushing to throw some stuff together and wanted to leave him be as much as I could to de stress. I’ll get some up tomorrow.

Threw in a chunk of banana, freeze dried bugs/shrimp, and cuttlebone…. All of it is now gone 😅. He’s a big purple monstrosity named Me’shell (dodgeball movie anyone?).

My bad haha! I felt like I should have put a picture up with that post… Didn’t have the tank totally done today so I was rushing to throw some stuff together and wanted to leave him be as much as I could to de stress. I’ll get some up tomorrow.

Threw in a chunk of banana, freeze dried bugs/shrimp, and cuttlebone…. All of it is now gone 😅. He’s a big purple monstrosity named Me’shell (dodgeball movie anyone?).
Omg! Pics would be awesome I love crabs 😍, here’s a pic or two of a weird looking crab I caught in a Hawaii lol
IMG_4802.png

IMG_3816.jpeg
IMG_3815.jpeg

Omg! Pics would be awesome I love crabs 😍, here’s a pic or two of a weird looking crab I caught in a Hawaii lolView attachment 358147
View attachment 358145View attachment 358146
Oh very cool! I’d love to go to Hawaii one day lol, bet the wild life is stunning.

I’ll get some pictures up tonight hopefully. Been rigging up a secure lid as this guy is very big and powerful. I had a heavy piece of wood on top temporarily, but I drilled holes and am currently fastening thick steel hardware cloth. Just trying to make it in a way where I can still access the tank when needed. Thinking of putting a sheet of plexiglass or something over it too keep humidity up as well.

Got an ultratherm heater I need to tape to the back and insulate too.

Not great pictures, he’s pretty skittish atm and I’m trying not to add any more stress than he’s already dealing with. Been really struggling getting the lid down without it being unreasonably hard to open up.

Went with purely function to start to get a feel for how he is and I’m glad I did as I wasn’t expecting the crab to be like this.

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7437.jpeg
    IMG_7437.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 2
Had to order salt as the stores didn’t have what I wanted, so I’ll be adding a salt pool too. Waiting on two small sponge filters, going to cycle the pools.

Not great pictures, he’s pretty skittish atm and I’m trying not to add any more stress than he’s already dealing with. Been really struggling getting the lid down without it being unreasonably hard to open up.

Went with purely function to start to get a feel for how he is and I’m glad I did as I wasn’t expecting the crab to be like this.
OH MY GOSH! He is adorable thank you for the pictures, I’m not sure why but i expected a baby crab!😂

OH MY GOSH! He is adorable thank you for the pictures, I’m not sure why but i expected a baby crab!😂

Thank you. I need to get some better pics. He’s pretty active and bangs loudly on the glass occasionally, but is skittish with people. He’s been digging holes last couple days.

I really don’t know how I’m going to decorate an enclosure for this guy.

Thank you. I need to get some better pics. He’s pretty active and bangs loudly on the glass occasionally, but is skittish with people. He’s been digging holes last couple days.

I really don’t know how I’m going to decorate an enclosure for this guy.
That’s hilarious! I’m sure it would be easier with a larger cage but the cage you have is already huge and I don’t know much about the setups but it’s looking great to me! I can’t wait to see pics when you have the water installed in

Just got these, he pretty much reorganizes the cage, even moves those giant cork logs. Still waiting on my sponge filters. Trying to keep a simple but healthy set up until I really get a feel for his personality. Then I’ll try adding some plants and maybe a land/water separation.

Been browsing 120g tanks on FB marketplace too lol

Attachments

• IMG_7454.jpeg
    IMG_7454.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7456.jpeg
    IMG_7456.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7457.jpeg
    IMG_7457.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7455.jpeg
    IMG_7455.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 1
His crusher claw is huge, would not wanna get your finger in there lol!! Setup is looking great so far 😎 he’s got some cool eyes too

His crusher claw is huge, would not wanna get your finger in there lol!! Setup is looking great so far 😎 he’s got some cool eyes too
Thank you! I know that claw is giant lol. I also really liked the purple with yellow eyes look 🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s getting a little more bold and active each day. I decided to add some isopods because I’m worried about pieces of food sitting around and there’s a lot of worries over anaerobic bacterial blooms in the crab hobbies.

Back
Top Bottom