Anyone interested in Vines?

PitchFork

So I was at the pet store and saw how much bio vine costs.

Would anyone be interested in real vines? From once living vines, (woody like but bendable) I can get many many different sizes, and very good lengths. Some vines can be as big as 2+'' in diameter or as small as 1/4''.

Just a thought, if anyone has an interest let me know.

what kind of wood?

are you talking about dried wood or fresh cut living vines?

Pics would help too...my primary concern is rotting/longevity

I'll post better pics later, this may give you an idea.

The vines are woody, with bark, peel back the bark and it looks like wood, dry not green. I'm almost certain its wild grape vine, not sure how fast it grows when alive, but it must take a good while to get the thicker sized ones.

Also for reference Pitchfork is 5months old, hes about the size of a mouse.:D

Biggest vine in any of those pics is probably 1/2'' in diameter.

I didn't know if it would be best to pull off the bark material or leave it, I took most off after boiling.

I see a lot of these vines that kinda look like that behind my house like you said the size varies but there is sooo much of those behind my house. lol

I see a lot of these vines that kinda look like that behind my house like you said the size varies but there is sooo much of those behind my house. lol

Ah the joys of living in the country... am I right?:)
Word of caution, if you get some, watch out for poison ivy, as it grows in the same places.

The small vines are usually (unless they are tangled good) not bad to get down, bigger vines can be near impossible unless using a ladder!

You couldn't pay me enough to get the vines during summer, I have bad reactions to poison ivy, then ya got the wild black raspberry bushes and heavy mosquito's! :D

i use these vines you are showing and i too belive they are a type of grape vine. i have not had any issues with them and the chams seem to like them.
and they are free!!! :D

i use these vines you are showing and i too belive they are a type of grape vine. i have not had any issues with them and the chams seem to like them.
and they are free!!! :D

I'm new to chams, but mine seems to like it as well.
I was looking up more info on bio vine and see that it doesn't come in very thick diameters? Also read it gets a bit rubbery/flexible when wet?

I don't think any of those would be concerns with the wild grape vine.

Confirmation, that is wild grape as i actually keep some in the yard and in various other locations haha. Those are also the best tasting grapes for your own personal consumption.

Ive used dead hops vines in many cages. Unfortunately Im not around my friend who grows them anymore. Gotta love getting the furnishings from nature. Once they need cleaned just toss them and get new. Much cheaper than buying them at the store!!!

Indeed, Id be willing to trade a good amount of vine for some good cricket gut-load for my 5month old jackson's if anyone would like.

I just got done boiling a batch to give my little buddy more vines, although if I send to anyone, I don't want to be liable or blamed for anything, so Id probably let whoever gets some do their own cleaning method.:D

I have some pics of the ones I boiled last night for my own guy, gives ya a better idea.

The bigger diameter one, (but shorter) I pulled most the bark off.

More pics next post.

Attachments

• 101_6900.jpg
    101_6900.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 101_6901.jpg
    101_6901.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 101_6902.jpg
    101_6902.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 101_6904.jpg
    101_6904.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 101_6905.jpg
    101_6905.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 125
More pics as it gets uncoiled.

Then the final pics are it coiled back up in the pot.

Attachments

• 101_6906.jpg
    101_6906.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 101_6911.jpg
    101_6911.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 101_6913.jpg
    101_6913.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 101_6914.jpg
    101_6914.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 152
Dismantled wreaths

how about a grape vine wreath un-rolled how would you clean it? just dawn & water...or boil? or just dust it?

Back
Top Bottom