Anyone know how old my Cham is?

NeilJohnson12

Anyone know how old my Cham is? I got him in this month July 15th. His name is Mauee. He's been pretty great since i have had him. He is basking in the pic from today.
Also, any recommendations from my setup? Would like to make him as comfortable as possible. I have a dripper, basking light, real and fake plants, the branch for him to climb on, and basking light. He's my first pet after getting out of the military lol.
1000030036.jpg
1000030035.jpg
1000030038.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! :) It’s not so easy to figure out his age. I go by casque size for male veileds, but if he’s full sized or close to it, I can’t tell. Maybe post some pics of his profile? I can give you quite a lot of recommendations. Not even sure how to begin without sounding like a jerk. 😟 I guess first let me give you links to some resources that will give you tons of correct and current info on keeping your guy happy and healthy. The first is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ and contains so very much info - husbandry program, species specific standards, podcasts, e zine and lots of videos on YouTube. The other is https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ and is primarily videos on YouTube and I do want you to check this out. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...tarter-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon There is also https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...vanced-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon
Now the part I dread saying - it looks like you bought the ZooMed chameleon kit and regrettably there is little that is actually useful in keeping your chameleon happy and healthy in it. You are not at all alone though. So many of us fell victim to the same or started similarly. The very worst part of the kit is that the uvb bulb is all but worthless. In order to remain healthy, chameleons must have adequate uvb. The standard is a linear T5HO fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. The screw in bulbs have no range and at just a few inches away, your chameleon gets zero uvb. The kit does come with decent supplements. You’ll use the calcium without D3 at every feeding and then one feeding every other week you’ll use the ReptiVite with D3. Dust lightly - you don’t want your feeders looking like powdered donuts. I’m attaching some graphics for you about feeders, feeding your feeders (healthy well fed bugs are more nutritious) and a couple of pics of my enclosures to give you and idea of what you are aiming to give your guy. I could write a mini novel here for you. Instead, I want you to check out the links I provided and then come back with your questions and for more personalized help. You’ve come to a fantastic place full of amazing people who enjoy helping others get started.
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Adding this to demonstrate size difference between minimum size for adult (2x2x4’) vs chameleon kit size
20190721_070852.jpeg

I used Dragon Ledges to attach plants and branches https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
IMG_6381.jpeg

This is a double sized enclosure (2 XL ReptiBreezes) for a panther. I used garden trellis for branches and plants. Very easy & ask if you’d like to know how I did it. Is also bioactive.
IMG_5883.jpeg

Thank you very much for such a detailed response. It's gonna help out alot. I was not aware about the UVB light. The kit came with the regular light and basking heat light. They told me i needed a red light at petsmart, but after research i found out that he needs total darkness to sleep.
Guess i will just consider him about 4 months old or so. He is not tiny, but he is not full size from what i am guessing.
Thanks alot for all the resources and your time. It's gonna help Mauee and I alot😁

I’m so happy to hear back from you. :) You have it correct that chameleons need total darkness to sleep. Colored lights at any time of day or night can hurt sensitive little eyes. Unfortunately most pet store employees have been given poor info about what chameleons need and some don’t even sell the correct items (Petco!). Usually we have to order most things on line and from different sources. This is another way that Neptune’s kit is awesome. Not only is it a big $avings, but it’s quicker and easier. The comparison of enclosure sizes is when I was learning and just a couple of months in and it was a real journey of learning and improving until I finally had all of the basics down. While I was too shy to take full advantage of the forum for a bit, just knowing that support and help was a keystrokes away was so reassuring. So, whatever we can help with - yes, we do enjoy celebrating achievements with each other too ;) - don’t be shy. :)

I just want to say hello and welcome to you and Mauee!! Missskittles is wonderful. She helped me get my guy straight when I got here. This is a judgement free zone. Many of us (myself included) had the chameleon kit when we started. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Also, we LOVE seeing pictures of each others chams.

Back
Top Bottom