Batches from retained sperm

CatJ

Established Member
Hi all,
Since my last post, we have hatched 33 baby panther chameleons. Most are doing well. But...

My female laid 3 clutches of eggs from 1 mating. The first batch of 12, 11 shrivelled up anyway, which we were expecting as she was egg bound before we mated her. (Long story, see my 1st thread). The remaining egg hatched and baby is now 3.5 months old and doing well.

Batch 2 have all hatched, we lost 1 during hatching but all others are growing amazingly.

Then comes batch 3. Of the 4 hatched so far, 1 has nearly died on its first shed. I'm helping that one with manual feeding currently. Then this morning, I have another who has stopped eating, closed its and eyes and lost all its weight. This baby looked quite strong on day 1 but was extremely tiny. It still is tiny but now looks unlikely to survive.

Is this a thing? Are babies generated using retained sperm less likely to be as strong or survive?

My vivs r all set up the same and always have been since the eggs were laid. (Following alla dvice form another previous thread of mine). All other babies are nearly ready to go off to forever homes. But this clutch seems to be having issues?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, I would say it’s in the development and sperm not being healthy. I had 2 in one of my hatching that were the same as yours. I continued to hand feed but they did not make it in the end. They lasted 6 month but they never were strong. Vitamin, habitats was all normal. I’ve raised them since 2005.

Back
Top Bottom