Behavior of panther male chameleon

Kvapka

Hello,
I have two panther chameleons, male and a female, both I think are about 5 months now.
They are both in one terrarium of size 100 cm x 40 cm x 120 cm, as I was told they would get along.
Well they were getting along quite well (I mean, they were ignoring each other)
Female had no problem with hand feeding (from time to time), since we got her. Male was always hiding even when we were just passing the terrarium by. There is some progress, as now he is quite used to it and also has no problem with hand feeding.
Yesterday I put her by the window as it was nice and sunny. The male stayed in terrarium (he still is a bit anxious when we get too close to him) and the whole time he has been staring at her, like paralyzed. I even touched his foot and he didn't care at all. After some time I returned her to the terrarium.
Today I put her by the window again, she was climbing the plants and curtains. I sprayed some plants with water and put crickets on the plants. He was staring again, and when I wanted to put her back into terrarium, he ran towards her really quick and hissed. I closed the terrarium and waited a while, then put her into terrarium and watched them, fortunately, he calmed down. He was just strangely twitching his head for the next hour (never seen that before). He hadn't hissed at her before this.
Was it a territorial thing? Should I separate them now? I was told they would get along but what I've read recently, it might not be the best idea. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom