Best material for the bottom of a viv

thomas041

I would like to know what people use for their substrate. I know you shouldnt use any kind of loose material as it could get ingested and then you have problems. I know newspaper is good but honestly feel I can do with something that is more pleasurable to the eye, I have been told of a number of things to try, astro-turf being one of the main ones which I am interested in.

Any infomation or views would be helpfull.

I have a veiled and I use beaked moss. It's easy to keep clean, is unlikely to get ingested, and holds humidity very well.

Amy lives in an Exo Terra at the moment. I have sealed an offcut of stone effect vinyl flooring into the bottom using aquarium sealant. It looks really nice - much better than a plain glass bottom, which I was worried she'd try and dig through. I am also going to put some in the bottom of Tommy's viv too very soon. It is so easy to wipe over and keep clean.

If you want something easy to clean that looks natural, use Miss Lily's suggestion and find some vinyl flooring that looks like stone or moss. What I did for my cages was cut some aquarium liner to fit the bottom, it cleans up really nicely too. My senegal's cage has a stone print and my veiled's cage has a jungle print with wood, flowers, and plants. I used 2 ceramic tiles in my leopard geckos' cage and that's really easy to clean as well and look like sandstone, but those can be get heavy and may not work with your cham's cage depending on how your drainage is set up.

A lot of folks use cocofibre/sand.
I dont have a substrate in my cages, just painted wood, but I do often have towels under the bowls that collect dripping water.

Back
Top Bottom