Bird Cage Type of Cage OK For Veiled Chameleons?

sweetmisery

Just wonderin if they are OK, cuz I think they can be seen better plus it got more ventilation.

Something like:
http://www.birdcages.com/cart/iso.cfm?detail=extralarge&sku=AEC022&img=master

Not necessarily same cage, something bigger but of same shiny, smooth material. And the gap is .5"...

And oh, I am from the Philippines and never had a chameleon(VERY VERY RARE HERE) but have Bearded and Frilled Dragons. I am reading all I can about them. I am yet to buy one though, just gathering more info. So bare with me. lol

MANY THANKS!

You could definitely keep a chameleon in one of those things (as long as he can't climb through the bars). Some things I would consider is you wouldn't have the ability to free-range food because they can escape. Also keeping a clean cage is pretty important and with that small little door, it might make this task harder than it should be.

I would worry about my Cham getting his head stuck in the bars somehow... I did that at Disney Land when I was a kid waiting in line for the Dumbo ride... My ears were to big to just pull me out,(talk about irony) they had to get a bar spreader and some lube.:D

no bueno

That cage is not a good idea unless you line the inside with some sort of plastic mesh like plastic chicken wire ect....

the reason it wont be good is the chams feet. for one they are too slick and the cham wont beable to get a stable grip. thats why you shouldnt use bamboo either. the chams foot should wrap nicely around the thing its holding onto, its too small if the chams toes are touching eachother on the other side.

also the bars are tooo small for anything other a newborn cham ( which u wouldnt want to put in that large of a cage anyways)

the cham wont beable to grip the bars correctly....sorry, but it is a bad idea.

It may get you by for a while, but my cham climbs the plants, he doesnt mess with the bars. If your cham climbs the bars your plants are insufficient, not offering a hiding place or decent paths to get around and hunt.

THANKS GUYS! I plan to put a potted plant inside. It would be placed outdoor too. But as I said, Im still all researching.

Hi, I used to live in the Philippines too and it gets really, really hot out there.

Just make sure you have enough shade for the cham in case it wants to get out of the sun.

Ummm... Im from Cebu. Where is that? lol

Guys since, as the problem of a bird cage is - light bulbs; putting them outside which they can have direct sunlight for an hour is enough UVB right? Since natural sunlight is always stronger.

Do I still need a basking light if they are outside?

being outside there isnt just one hot spot, its the whole cage, so provide plenty of cover, PLENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no heat lamp required if your temps are good outside.

The bigger issue is not so much of keeping something in, but keeping things out. Tropical islands have problems with mosquitos. They harbor parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to your chameleon.

I'm sure you can use the bird cage as a frame/skeleton to be lined with screening material. Preferably inside, so your chameleon can't get caught in between the bars and the screen. Also you have to make sure the cage doesn't rust from all the misting and humidity.

That's surprising that Philippines don't have any wild chameleons. The climate and vegetation seems ideal (similar to Hawaii).

no bueno

That cage is not a good idea unless you line the inside with some sort of plastic mesh like plastic chicken wire ect....

the reason it wont be good is the chams feet. for one they are too slick and the cham wont beable to get a stable grip. thats why you shouldnt use bamboo either. the chams foot should wrap nicely around the thing its holding onto, its too small if the chams toes are touching eachother on the other side.

also the bars are tooo small for anything other a newborn cham ( which u wouldnt want to put in that large of a cage anyways)

the cham wont beable to grip the bars correctly....sorry, but it is a bad idea.
I gotta disagree with you

This from 2008.
Bird cage would rust inless stainless steel one Tried to put a&e double macaw 40 inch by 80 inch out side for bird and started rusting after one rain storm. Square tubing rust from inside and rust stains run down bars

Back
Top Bottom