Black Chameleon

xx99TheCreatorxx

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Male, 3 months, about 2 weeks.
Handling - Once a day
Feeding - Crickets, Schedule is after school for me. Yes gut loading
Supplements - Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium with VIT.D, Ultrafine Powder
Watering - Water treated with Repti-Safe
Fecal Description - Brown and White, No
History - Not much.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen. 16x16x20
Lighting - Zoo-med, red for night and normal for basking.
Temperature - High 90's to 100's at the top. I measure with a zoo med heat and humidity circle gauge
Humidity - 40's
Plants - Yes. I dont know what kind but I know it's safe.
Placement - In my room. About 2 feet from the floor
Location - Rockford, Illinois

Current Problem - He is very dark, has lightened up a bit and i have noticed his eyes sometimes turn gold and his pupils are dark black.

What do you gut load with.? Your supplements are wrong. Regular calcium no d3 every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month, mutivitamin twice a month. Is the zoo-med your uvb.? And you don't need the red bulb at night unless your temps get very low. Temperature is WAY to hot. He needs a basking spot at about 85. Humidity needs to go up, try adding more plants and spraying more. Or add a humidifier in the room.

Usually they turn dark when they are cold, or trying to soak in more sun rays. Has his lights been off for a long time or is his basking bulb not working.?

Chameleon Info:
Handling - Once a day
Feeding - Crickets, Schedule is after school for me. Yes gut loading
Supplements - Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium with VIT.D, Ultrafine Powder
How often do you give this supplement? He could have to much D3 in his system.
History - Not much.

Cage Info:
Lighting - Zoo-med, red for night and normal for basking.
Yes, the redlight is unnessesary. If your note time temp drops below 50F, then get a ceramic heat emitter. Otherwise, nothing is fine, and a 10F temp drop at nite is good for the chameleon.
Temperature - High 90's to 100's at the top. I measure with a zoo med heat and humidity circle gauge
Those analoge gauges are usually WAY off. It would be best to go get a digital one from a hardware store.
Humidity - 40's
This needs to stay above 50%
Location - Rockford, Illinois

Current Problem - He is very dark, has lightened up a bit and i have noticed his eyes sometimes turn gold and his pupils are dark black.

Over supplementation with D3 could have these results.
He will be ok if so.
How do you provide water for him?
Give him lots of water.

Chameleon Info:
Handling - Once a day
Feeding - Crickets, Schedule is after school for me. Yes gut loading,Can you please elaborate?
Supplements - Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium with VIT.D, Ultrafine Powder This forum recommends calcium without D3 every feeding, Calcium with D3 twice a month, and a Multivitumin twice a month. There is a good all in one product called Rephasy all in one calcium plus if you want to make things easier for yourself.
History - Not much.

Cage Info:
Lighting - Zoo-med, red for night and normal for basking. You dont need the red light at night. they like complete darkness. are your temps dropping below 65 degrees at night?
Temperature - High 90's to 100's at the top. I measure with a zoo med heat and humidity circle gauge This might be a little too hot for a 3 month old chameleon
Humidity - 40'sTry for 60s if possible
Location - Rockford, Illinois im from long grove, its in the bufflo gorve, Lake zurich area :D

His dark colors would suggest he is possibly stressed out. Maybe post some pics of your setup so we can see if there is anything we can help you with there. follow my suggestions and he should be fine. Some more experiance owners should respond shortly.

Edit: Solid snake beat me too it. Darn :mad:

Kammers(Kammerflage Kreations/chameleons Only) bask their babies between 90-95 degrees and 95-100 for adults. They are successful breeders for many many years. I would go no higher than that. IF you see your chameleon constantly gaping(with mouth open) then lower your temps. They should be able to bask comfortably. You will get conflictinig opinions on temps on here. This is just another one!!!

Kammers(Kammerflage Kreations/chameleons Only) bask their babies between 90-95 degrees and 95-100 for adults. They are successful breeders for many many years. I would go no higher than that. IF you see your chameleon constantly gaping(with mouth open) then lower your temps. They should be able to bask comfortably. You will get conflictinig opinions on temps on here. This is just another one!!!

I had the temp between 90 and 95 for my guy when he was three months and he was fine. I just think high 90s is pushing it.

every chameleon is different in term of time taken to acclimate. it could be another day or it could be another month. Just make sure your husbandry is correct and he will eventually show you his best :)

i keep my babies at 90*

He has lightened up and is doing great his temperature is at 90 right now, ill work for the humidity (its hard in this winter season) thanks for all the help!

Just to let you know my Cham, your chams brother, has been turning super dark almost black also the last few days and then he lightens up later. I think he's just trying to get warm. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329877678.287433.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329877678.287433.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 90
Temperature is too high, i once upped the wattage a bit and made his cage hotter, he instantly went really dark, just get a lower wattage

Back
Top Bottom