Black soldier flys!

ToastyCham

Established Member
I woke up to lots of black soldier flys! Edvin is going to have lots of fun today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 19
I woke up to lots of black soldier flys! Edvin is going to have lots of fun today!
I love when this happens and so does Spike. He has a field day on these days lol I release them before he wakes up in the morning and then it's like they're just naturally hanging out on leaves.

So a question about using these as feeders…
How do you limit how many get out of the container and into the enclosure? I would assume since they fly, that it would be difficult. In addition, my guy completely ignored the larvae. If I just let them go in the container they came in will pupation just naturally occur?

So a question about using these as feeders…
How do you limit how many get out of the container and into the enclosure? I would assume since they fly, that it would be difficult. In addition, my guy completely ignored the larvae. If I just let them go in the container they came in will pupation just naturally occur?
oh I don't.

If there are 20 flies, I let them all into the enclosure and let them go nuts. Everyone's situation might not be the same as mine, but Spike doesn't seem to overeat. He will literally live with the BSF flying around / sitting around on leaves until he's ready to eat them. They're really small usually and I really watch how much I feed him with exception to the actual flies. But the flies, I just let them in there and I look at them as a treat/supplement kind of thing. But a healthy treat lol

If I add them when its dark I use my cell phone to put some light into the top of the enclosure (away from my sleeping chameleon), open the container inside the enclosure, and I help them out with my fingers. They'll go towards the light till I shut the doors.

If his lights are on, I do the exact same thing only I don't use my cell phone for light. I just open the doors, open the container inside the door and they typically just fly to his lights at the top of his enclosure until they feel like finding a leaf to rest on before they become food.

I find its best to leave them in the dish they come in, until they actually hatch (and I just feed BSFL as I go until they hatch). But I used to, and sometimes still do, actually put some BSFL in the bottom plant pots so they can eventually turn into flies. Now, I really only do this one they get really hard when pupating.

Back
Top Bottom