Blood on Ringo's casque

kokom05lb

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ringo is 8 months old male veiled. Been in my care for 6 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Very rarely
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 5-8 crickets a day that I gutload with fresh veggies (carrots, collard greens, apples, sweet potatoes) occasionally wax worms and suppers
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Sticky Tongue Farms Calcium w/o D3 6 days a week, Repcal Calcium w/ D3 twice a month, Repcal Multivitamins twice a month
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I spray his cage 3-4 times a day, has a dripper, but I dont see him drinking
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Normal fecal, never been to the vet in my care.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Heavy shed thats been going on for awhile

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Fully screened 2x4x4ft cage that is open for him to FR when he wants
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lights go on at 7am off at 8pm, Reptil glow (whatever its called) UVB 5.0 x2 since the cage is so big and a 60w house bulb for basking.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75 degrees towards the bottom, 85-90 degrees in basking. At night the temp drops to 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55% when not sprayed, 80% when sprayed
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All I have is live plants. 2 umbrellas, 3 pothos, and 1 ficus
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in our spare bedroom next to a window. The top of the cage from room floor would be 6ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located? El Paso, TX

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about
Ok so I walked in this morning and looked at Ringo. Being a little sweetheart he let me look at him really close. Then I seen a small stop on his head that looked like blood on his casque. Took a closer look and that area looks like its bruised. He wont let me hold him so how can I treat this little spot. I would have got a better pic of him but when I went to get my phone he moved. The whole top of his casque looks as though he kept rubbing it on something, its not burned I dont think.

Attachments

• Ringo23.jpg
    Ringo23.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 185
You might want to try putting a little neosporin on it.

Can he burn himself? Can he get up and have his casque just about touching the light? The whole "top of the cage/lighting situation" is a bit hard to understand from the picture.

If its the top of his casque he could have also rubbed a raw spot against the screen. Could you post a close up picture of the affected area? I can't see it in the larger picture...

I would add some foliage to the top of his cage too so he feels more protected being up there like he's in the tree tops.

Closest pics I could get. Turned sideways to do the "You cant see me" thing lol. And yes Ill be buying some fake vines for his new cage when it gets done by this weekend I hope.

Attachments

• Ringo24.jpg
    Ringo24.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Ringo25.jpg
    Ringo25.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 153
Looks a bit like a burn to me if it's the lighter area at the front of the casque that you're talking about. It might be minor, or that section of the casque might get hard and fall off. Are you sure the basking spot is only 90 degrees? I had to downgrade my 60w to a 40w because I was getting temps higher than I wanted. I would either move the basking bulb higher off the cage or move it away from directly over a branch so he can't be so close to it. I would put neosporin on it until it looks normal again.

I know you will coz all of us Cham owners are the same, paranoid, but keep a close eye on this. My yemen developed an infection in his casque and lost the tip. I first noticed it as a bead of clear/orangey coloured fluid. I am not sure how the infection started, a burn maybe or maybe he rubbed it on the top of his viv. I managed to clear this up by injecting baytril prescribed by the vet into his feeders. I am sure I was just unlucky for this to happen but I thought I should warn you just in case. He made a good recovery from this.

Is there a easy way to apply meds on it? He doesnt like being handled at all. I cant even get him out of his cage. There is those occassional time when he'll let me touch him on his head and anywhere on his right side. Left side he freaks out.

Cotton bud maybe? He'll probably still freak out but it saves your fingers and if you can get this stuff on him will reduce the risk of infection setting in.

I just moved my digital gauge to check temps and basking is at 95 :|. So now I'll do some readjusting. Now I'm going to have to unpack our medicine box to get some Neosporin. Also I think I might be able to coax him down where I can mess with his head as long as my husband, my son, and dogs aren't in there

In a 4 foot tall cage 95 isn't really over hot, though it's hotter than most use. But, if he can get away from the heat when he wants and the bottom of the cage is more like 75, then that's not a problem all by itself.

It's possible that he's able to get his casque in contact with the top of the cage and that the top of the cage is much hotter than 95 degrees. Whenever a bulb is sitting on a cage like that I worry. The metal hoods get hot and they are in contact with the metal screen, so that gets hot. I really think even an inch off the top of the cage can make a huge difference.

Does he hate your son and husband? I think another person would be helpful....someone to distract him while you dab on the goop.

Back
Top Bottom