Breading crikets

banshee1

Hi I have a 30 gallon tank and i buy 1000 crikets i feed them repashy BB. The problem is that the crikets have started to eat their eggs. What can i do????:confused:

U should have an egg laying dish that is filled with moist soil or sand that they can lay their eggs in. Leave it in their bin for a week or 2 and then remove it and place it into a separate bin to hatch. But put another dish with damp soil back into the bin wen u remove the first one so u can keep the cycle going

Well if you get some nice panko bread crumbs, some good canola oil, and an egg batter.. probably wotn taste too bad.
;)

I have the egg laying dish. The problem is that the male crikets come to eat the eggs

Well like i said, take the egg laying dish and wen it has eggs in it then put it in a bin that has no crickets and the eggs will safely hatch there.

breading is like what you make for fried chicken...
breeding- is to make more animals...

:D and we are just teasing you.. its funny. lol.

Yes. But the thing is that males are always in the laying dish waiting for the females to lay the eggs and they eat them as soon as they lay the eggs

Yes. But the thing is that males are always in the bin waiting for the females to lay the eggs and they eat them

Well they shouldnt get the chance to eat very many of the eggs if you take the dish out quick enough. Another way to help the problem would be to lower the number of male crickets you have. 1 male to every 4 females is all you need so I could start feeding some of the male crickets to your cham and save the females. That might help your problem

What I do is cover the egg laying container with metal mesh screen. The female will still be able to stick her ovapositor in the soil and it keeps the males out. Hope this helps.

Every time I try to breed crickets seems like they never pop out. I did the entire routine of letting them lay for 2 days, then keeping it humid and putting heat on it,(incubated for a week and a half at 90 degrees) and they never hatch.

What I do is cover the egg laying container with metal mesh screen. The female will still be able to stick her ovapositor in the soil and it keeps the males out. Hope this helps.

This is a really good idea, I also use this technique and it seems to work well so far :)

Thanks well in that case i will have to make a another container with the 1-4 ratio and the metal mesh top. How mush space between metal mesh and dirt

Thanks well in that case i will have to make a another container with the 1-4 ratio and the metal mesh top

Well if you use the metal screen on top of the laying dish then I dont think the ratio is that important anymore. I'd just keep doing what you're doing but try the metal screen on your laying dish. If your eggs are still getting eaten then try having less males per female

Every time I try to breed crickets seems like they never pop out. I did the entire routine of letting them lay for 2 days, then keeping it humid and putting heat on it,(incubated for a week and a half at 90 degrees) and they never hatch.

Honestly humidity is more important than temperature when hatching crickets. Takes about 12 days for my eggs to begin hatching. I use a tupperware container inside a shoe box size tote. I keep the whole thing on a heating pad on LOW setting. I also keep the tupperware container off the floor of the tote about 3 inches. This works for me and have had lots of success with it. Try and keep your temp around 82 or 83 degrees. When all the females have laid and it's time for me to incubate I spray the soil one last time pretty well. You don't want to over do it. When crickets hatch they can drown in just the smallest droplet of water.

Also you want to pack the dirt enough to where its harder for the males to dig up the eggs as the female can still stick her ovipositor in the dirt and lay the eggs. As others have said the screen on top is a good idea but I have never had to use it. But if the dirt is loose the males will surely dig.

As far as the egg setup before I was not using a heating pad it took between 2-3 weeks before the eggs would start to hatch and not many would hatch. Once I got the heating pad I simply put it under the container on a medium setting and now they hatch in about 4-7 days. I just had one of the egg containers hatch so many babies that you could barely see the dirt. I have had the best results with the temp ranging between 83 to 90 degrees. Also like others have said the key is making sure the dirt stays moist but dont over do it. If you are having a hard time keeping the dirt moist just put a lid with holes poked in it on the egg container. This will keep it moist for longer. I found that spraying the egg container about twice a day works great if not using a lid. Just make sure the dirt never fully dries out or the eggs will not hatch.

I have started my cricket colony about 6 weeks ago and I probably have more than 8000 baby crickets. Good thing because my Female Jackson just had 9 babies :D

Back
Top Bottom