Breaking claws

CatJ

Established Member
Hi all,
Can I have some help with my male panther please? His claws are always broken/chipped.

He's nearly 2yrs old. We've had him since 6months old. He's bright, active, eating , drinking, pooping etc all as normal. But his claws are constantly breaking. His feet feet and legs are strong, so he can grip branches that he can hold, but he cant climb properly on larger branches etc. What am I missing?

He eats mainly locusts, always dusted with calcium. Twice monthly we switch the calcium for D3 no calcium. Every bug we feed him is gut loaded with fruit n veg.

We thought he was breaking them on the metal mesh we used to have on his viv to allow ventilation. And there were some fake branches that had gone a bit like sand paper on the surface. So we removed all that. His claws got much better so we thought we'd cracked it. 6wks later, they're broken again.

Pics below. Real plants inbound! He usually has several plants but we've just had his water pump/mister thing fail and dump all its water into the viv, so everything had to be removed literally yesterday. And he's not in a mesh viv cos I'm in the UK, where its always flipping cold!

Temps kept at 28oC ish daytime and naturally drops to 21-22 at night. Humidity sits at 51-52% day and 80% night.

Any advice much appreciated 🙏 20241005_170809.jpg 20241005_170820.jpg

Hi. Are you giving him any multivitamin? If not, that may be why his nails are so brittle. If you want to use a combination D3 and multivitamin to make life easier, I suggest either Repashy calcium plus LoD, or ReptiVite with D3 used one feeding every other week. If you want to just add a multivitamin, ReptiVite also comes without D3, and you’d use for one feeding, alternating weeks from the calcium with D3, or twice a month.

Hi. Are you giving him any multivitamin? If not, that may be why his nails are so brittle. If you want to use a combination D3 and multivitamin to make life easier, I suggest either Repashy calcium plus LoD, or ReptiVite with D3 used one feeding every other week. If you want to just add a multivitamin, ReptiVite also comes without D3, and you’d use for one feeding, alternating weeks from the calcium with D3, or twice a month.
Hi, we're using calci shot for every day, and this (instead of the calci) twice a month:

17281573767101896606895679738601.jpg

Back
Top Bottom