Building a custom Chameleon cage

misskellyjean

Hello!

I’m new here and also new to Chameleon ownership. I want to build a custom chameleon setup and I'm looking to your expertise in things that you highly recommend I should have and include in my custom enclosure. I'll be getting a male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. I have been doing research of course but I thought that with a group of experienced chameleon owners, you'll be able to give me tidbits I might not find on line. I would also love to see pictures or links to sites that have instructions and details on building a cham enclosure. Just a little info to go off of – I have pets so a free range setup is pretty much out of the question. I may have a small area setup for it when dogs are outside though. Any other recommendations, enclosure related or not, is always appreciated! Thank you for all your help and advise :):D

This is a pretty broad question to ask. There are endless possibilities for chameleon enclosures. I have seen cabinet type furniture re-purposed for a chameleon. The most common DIY material is wood, though you must be sure to seal it properly so it doesn't rot. I actually had a nice DIY wooden enclosure that seemed like it would work well, but I later found that the bottom was not done properly and leaked water all over my floors.

My biggest piece of advice - PLAN, PLAN, and PLAN some more. Make sure your drainage is adequate, and make the enclosure easy to clean. My last enclosure was A PAIN to clean, My new one opens on the bottom so I can now wipe, or sweep everything right our of the enclosure. No more picking up old leaves, dead bugs, or chameleon poop to clean the bottom of the cage.

Good luck and keep us updated on the build. I always love seeing what other come up with!

Thank you Lpsouth1978, I definitely want to have the bottom come out to make cleaning easy. I've had custom cages before and the bottom never slid out - major pain when it came to cleaning. I would also like to have the side and top open as well. I want to make sure I can get to all angles of my cage without disturbing my guy. What are your opinions on fabric mesh vs wire screen? How do you recommend making the bottom leak proof? Also, if the cage has mesh for airflow on all sides of the cage, do you feel that a little fan on top of the cage would be necessary at all?

Thank you pigglett79. That is a wonderfully made cage. I especially like the little lizard handles you added for details. Your cage is definitely well thought out. I like how you’ve hidden your drainage system with the cubbord. I can’t tell in the picture – is that a wire/mesh floor between your sink and where you plant sits?

Thank you Lpsouth1978, I definitely want to have the bottom come out to make cleaning easy. I've had custom cages before and the bottom never slid out - major pain when it came to cleaning. I would also like to have the side and top open as well. I want to make sure I can get to all angles of my cage without disturbing my guy. What are your opinions on fabric mesh vs wire screen? How do you recommend making the bottom leak proof? Also, if the cage has mesh for airflow on all sides of the cage, do you feel that a little fan on top of the cage would be necessary at all?

Thank you pigglett79. That is a wonderfully made cage. I especially like the little lizard handles you added for details. Your cage is definitely well thought out. I like how you’ve hidden your drainage system with the cubbord. I can’t tell in the picture – is that a wire/mesh floor between your sink and where you plant sits?

It is a removable bottom made of wood and pet screen. It basically sits on top of the drainage pans.

Edit: Oh and it had a cross beam for the plant pots to sit on. It was painted, then coated with spar urethane to seal it. That way I can pull the bottom out to clean it easier.

Oh and best to coat the top of the cabinet and in inside bottom with spar urethane because water will get on it at some point.

Last edited:
I was in the same place last year when I made my first DIY cage prior to getting my first chameleon after several years. I had a lot of fun making it and really like being able to build things to my tastes. There's a ton of really useful information in this forum if you do a search for "DIY". That's how I got a lot of answers to my questions.

Here's a link to the first smaller cage I made: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-first-cage-build-84441/

And here's a link to the big permanent cage a made:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/diy-chameleon-mansion-build-102657/

If there's anything in particular that you need help with or have questions about feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you get an answer. Good luck with your project and be sure to show us all how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom