Building New Enclosure, Have a Few Questions

Segie

I've had my male veiled chameleon for less than a year, and I have been working on building him a new enclosure. It is being built into an entertainment center, so the sides are wood and the front and back are screen. I've done a lot of research and I will make sure to meet all of my chams needs, but I have run into two issues that I can't find a clear answer on.

I'd really like some advice on waterproofing the wood. How will I know if the sealant I am using is reptile safe?

I'm also having issues with the lighting. Is there a way I can get my UVB and heat bulbs both in one strip fixture? I can't find one like that. I'm really not sure how to choose a good lighting fixture either way. The one I have now came with his reptibreeze so I never had to put any thought into it.

Try Light Your Reptiles the owner is super knowledgable and helpful. I emailed, thru their contact page, a description my setup, plants, species etc. and he was able to recommend lighting. It's kept my plants growing like weeds and my chams doing great.

You can seal the wood with multiple coats of water-based sealer such as polyurethane. Make sure its completely cured before getting it wet. Use aquarium caulk for seams. Don't use caulk with mold inhibitors. An oil-based sealer can leach petroleum residues for quite a while so best not to chance that. Whatever light fixture you use, be sure its well vented above, or the cage will end up too warm.

Back
Top Bottom