Bump on toe

Hello everyone,

I Have a 4 year old male panther chameleon. He has been doing fine however I did notice something today.

He has a small pink bump on his toe. It feels and moves like skin. I put some pictures. They aren't very clear so I'm sorry about that.

Some background info:

His grip is still firm and he rarely falls however his nails are not as sharp as before. He is a little more clumsy definitely when he is stressed. He also doesn't shoot as correctly as before. I do think it's because he is getting older.

He has a operation in begin August for a unrelated injury that included a wound that wouldn't close correctly the last 2 years. So I will ask my vets opinion then.

Husbandry Is normal however I do have some troubles with keeping up the humidity no matter what I do. But never had problems with it.
His cage is a Reptibreeze Xlarge. And his uvb is Arcadia T5 6%.

His diet contains of Dubai, morio worms and grasshoppers. I feed him 2 times a week. Sound not much but he is prone to gaining weight so I try to be careful.

I renovated his cage yesterday however he had fake plants for the last 2 months due to wool lice. When handling the wool lice I cleaned his branches with pure natural vinegar and water. I always clean his cage with this. General clean every week deep clean every few months depending on the season. I also deep clean his misting system once a year. I always try to make sure the vinegar is rinsed with the water.

I think it might be a bump from old age? It looks very harmless but since i couldn't find anything on the forum I decided to post it for some opinions. I will definitely ask my vet to look at it.

Attachments

• 20240719_114709.jpg
    20240719_114709.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240719_114802.jpg
    20240719_114802.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240718_135519.jpg
    20240718_135519.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240713_114811.jpg
    20240713_114811.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 16
Hello everyone,

I Have a 4 year old male panther chameleon. He has been doing fine however I did notice something today.

He has a small pink bump on his toe. It feels and moves like skin. I put some pictures. They aren't very clear so I'm sorry about that.

Some background info:

His grip is still firm and he rarely falls however his nails are not as sharp as before. He is a little more clumsy definitely when he is stressed. He also doesn't shoot as correctly as before. I do think it's because he is getting older.

He has a operation in begin August for a unrelated injury that included a wound that wouldn't close correctly the last 2 years. So I will ask my vets opinion then.

Husbandry Is normal however I do have some troubles with keeping up the humidity no matter what I do. But never had problems with it.
His cage is a Reptibreeze Xlarge. And his uvb is Arcadia T5 6%.

His diet contains of Dubai, morio worms and grasshoppers. I feed him 2 times a week. Sound not much but he is prone to gaining weight so I try to be careful.

I renovated his cage yesterday however he had fake plants for the last 2 months due to wool lice. When handling the wool lice I cleaned his branches with pure natural vinegar and water. I always clean his cage with this. General clean every week deep clean every few months depending on the season. I also deep clean his misting system once a year. I always try to make sure the vinegar is rinsed with the water.

I think it might be a bump from old age? It looks very harmless but since i couldn't find anything on the forum I decided to post it for some opinions. I will definitely ask my vet to look at it.
Hey there bump could be cancer or just a growth. Since he is having issues gripping I would put some smaller branches in. That really large one is not going to make it easy for him to wrap around.

Have you replaced the UVB bulb lately? What supplements do you use and what is the schedule? Are they expired? Not targeting correctly can be directly linked to other factors. It does not mean old age. For example my 6 year old male veiled targets without issue.

Hey there bump could be cancer or just a growth. Since he is having issues gripping I would put some smaller branches in. That really large one is not going to make it easy for him to wrap around.

Have you replaced the UVB bulb lately? What supplements do you use and what is the schedule? Are they expired? Not targeting correctly can be directly linked to other factors. It does not mean old age. For example my 6 year old male veiled targets without issue.
I don't think it's cancer since it moves and isn't firm. However the chance is there so I wanted to ask my vet for a biopsy either way. His gripping is still firm and he can hang upside down if he wants to. His nails are just not that sharp anymore. His grip seems fine in my opinion. There are 2 large branches I have 6 small ones and I will add more smaller ones next week.

So his schedule goes like this. He get fed 2 times a week. 1 time is always calcium without d3 and the other is either vitamin without d3 or calcium with d3. I switch it up every week. So first week is Vitamins and next week is Calcium with d3 and so on. I changed them in January before they could expire.

His targeting is not terrible or anything he seemed to have difficulties after having a stress moment for example after going to the vet 2 months ago he had a sore jaw from being mad. It took him a while to eat correctly and his aim wasn't that great for while. I also changed his way of feeding him. For the last year/5 he was fed out of a cup with short range. Now I'm feeding him further away and he is getting the hang of it and there is improvement. When he is trying to be fast his misses usually. Also there isnt any swelling around or in his eyes. However I was planning on asking the vet.

For uvb I wanted to change it next month. I change it every 6 months to almost a year. But never over a year. Also I checked his uvb rate and it seems high enough.

I don't think it's cancer since it moves and isn't firm. However the chance is there so I wanted to ask my vet for a biopsy either way. His gripping is still firm and he can hang upside down if he wants to. His nails are just not that sharp anymore. His grip seems fine in my opinion. There are 2 large branches I have 6 small ones and I will add more smaller ones next week.

So his schedule goes like this. He get fed 2 times a week. 1 time is always calcium without d3 and the other is either vitamin without d3 or calcium with d3. I switch it up every week. So first week is Vitamins and next week is Calcium with d3 and so on. I changed them in January before they could expire.

His targeting is not terrible or anything he seemed to have difficulties after having a stress moment for example after going to the vet 2 months ago he had a sore jaw from being mad. It took him a while to eat correctly and his aim wasn't that great for while. I also changed his way of feeding him. For the last year/5 he was fed out of a cup with short range. Now I'm feeding him further away and he is getting the hang of it and there is improvement. When he is trying to be fast his misses usually. Also there isnt any swelling around or in his eyes. However I was planning on asking the vet.

For uvb I wanted to change it next month. I change it every 6 months to almost a year. But never over a year. Also I checked his uvb rate and it seems high enough.
Could you please post pics of the supplement labels you are using?

Whoops forgot to react to your reply. It's from zoo med.
So it has not been proven that vitamin A can work without vitamin D3. Typically we recommend that a multivitamin have D3 and A in it and is used two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. The other thing about reptivite which I do not like is that they add phosphorus which is actually why we supplement insects with plain calcium without D3. To balance the insects phosphorus to calcium levels.

I would replace the calcium with D3 and the reptivite without D3 with Repashy Calcium plus LoD version and use this 2 times a month. Typically with targeting issues you will see an improvement in 6-8 weeks. Then at all other feedings you would use the calcium without D3.

Okay so 2 times a month repashy calcium plus LoD. And all the other feedings just with regular calcium? And do you mean this one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240719_190850_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240719_190850_Chrome.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
So it has not been proven that vitamin A can work without vitamin D3. Typically we recommend that a multivitamin have D3 and A in it and is used two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. The other thing about reptivite which I do not like is that they add phosphorus which is actually why we supplement insects with plain calcium without D3. To balance the insects phosphorus to calcium levels.

I would replace the calcium with D3 and the reptivite without D3 with Repashy Calcium plus LoD version and use this 2 times a month. Typically with targeting issues you will see an improvement in 6-8 weeks. Then at all other feedings you would use the calcium without D3.
Okay so what if I changed my reptivite without d3 to with d3. And leave out the calcium with d3. And give the reptivite with d3 2 times a month? Would that fix the issue if he has one? It's easier for me to get my hands on them.

Okay so 2 times a month repashy calcium plus LoD. And all the other feedings just with regular calcium? And do you mean this one?
You want the LoD version. It has a jacksons chameleon on the label. And yes this one would be 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th then all other feedings would be the plain calcium without D3.

Okay so what if I changed my reptivite without d3 to with d3. And leave out the calcium with d3. And give the reptivite with d3 2 times a month? Would that fix the issue if he has one? It's easier for me to get my hands on them.
You can I just prefer the repashy as they do not add phosphorus to it like reptivite does. I have seen better response in the forum when people switch to the repashy calcium plus LoD. But if it is not an option then yes switch to the reptivite with D3 and stop using the calcium with D3. Reptivite with D3 would be 2 times a month as well with all other feedings being the calcium without D3.

It will still be better then splitting them the way you have been. :)
Okay! It's weird because I have been using it for like 4 years and nothing weird happened. It started like 2-3months ago but It doesn't get any worse. People say that they can have problems after being fed in easy way for a long time. So I figured it might be that or getting older. 😳

Okay! It's weird because I have been using it for like 4 years and nothing weird happened. It started like 2-3months ago but It doesn't get any worse. People say that they can have problems after being fed in easy way for a long time. So I figured it might be that or getting older. 😳
So nothing is proven with if vitamin A needs D3 to truly work well. But it is an easy switch to see if this is the cause.

So nothing is proven with if vitamin A needs D3 to truly work well. But it is an easy switch to see if this is the cause.
We shall see I might update! I also have suspicious what the bump might be. I usually leave the excess powder from my supplements in de cup and apparently over suplementation can cause bumps. Sometimes it gets on the insects so it might have caused to overdose a little. Can bad aiming and that bump be cause of that? It isn't in his neck so I'm not sure

We shall see I might update! I also have suspicious what the bump might be. I usually leave the excess powder from my supplements in de cup and apparently over suplementation can cause bumps. Sometimes it gets on the insects so it might have caused to overdose a little. Can bad aiming and that bump be cause of that? It isn't in his neck so I'm not sure
I have not ever heard of that. However you do not want to mix your supplements leaving a lot of excess powder just for the fact that you do not want them taking in extra vitamin A or D3. These when overdosed cause other issues.

I have not ever heard of that. However you do not want to mix your supplements leaving a lot of excess powder just for the fact that you do not want them taking in extra vitamin A or D3. These when overdosed cause other issues.
Well I definitely will not leave it in. It's a habit I now realize I started back in January when i bought the supplements. So who knows. I guess after 4 years I need a bit of a check up on how I have been doing things. Guess his medical scare is now causing me to realize some dumb stuff. 🥲

Back
Top Bottom