Can you feed lemons to...

York1

dubia and crickets? I have a couple lemons that I have no use for and would rather put them to some use rather than let em rot

I would assume so. Oranges are recommended, so I would assume that the citric acid is not that big of a deal. I have never done it, but I bet that they would eat them.

Be sure that lemons are not the *only* thing you feed your crickets or feeder insects.

Oranges are recommended, but I've never heard of using lemons before. Try to mix up the lemons with some kale, collard greens, cucumber, blueberry, or just... something else.

Otherwise they may become to acidic and either die from improper food (I doubt it--they're crickets, haha!) or maybe that would not be best for the chameleon.

Someone else chime in.

Be sure that lemons are not the *only* thing you feed your crickets or feeder insects.

Oranges are recommended, but I've never heard of using lemons before. Try to mix up the lemons with some kale, collard greens, cucumber, blueberry, or just... something else.

Otherwise they may become to acidic and either die from improper food (I doubt it--they're crickets, haha!) or maybe that would not be best for the chameleon.

Someone else chime in.

I agree. I wouldn't feed exclusively lemons, but they probably would work to provide liquid and vitamins to the bugs.

They are squeezed for juice. I drink lemon water daily…all day, and I juice with them too so there is plenty of lemon pulp around this house too :D

I see. The juiced pulp probably wouldn't be as useful as the unsqueezed fruit, but it probably still has enough liquid to be some benefit.

I have fed my roaches lemons without any issue that I have noticed. I don't use nearly the number of lemons you do, but will throw them in when I do use them. They are in addition to their normal food and whatever other greens are added in.

a few lemons (pulp, not rind) are fine.
I wouldn't make this a staple food (nor would I make oranges a staple food) - a variety of gutloads is the way to go

Last edited:
Just to clear my name here ;) In no way did I plan to use this many for my feeders or have it be the only thing. I actually use a HUGE variety since I share my food with them (Im a veggie/food hippie) so my question was just MAY they be added in some way? Just a few pieces of pulp, hate to waste anything if the bugs can enjoy it :D

Just to clear my name here ;) In no way did I plan to use this many for my feeders or have it be the only thing. I actually use a HUGE variety since I share my food with them (Im a veggie/food hippie) so my question was just MAY they be added in some way? Just a few pieces of pulp, hate to waste anything if the bugs can enjoy it :D

Depending on how many roaches you have it would be no issue to feed that many every day and still not have it be your only food. I have 5-6 of the 18 gallon totes for the roaches so they can eat a decent amount at times. Halloween was nice when a friend donated me all their pumpkins afterwards haha

Depending on how many roaches you have it would be no issue to feed that many every day and still not have it be your only food. I have 5-6 of the 18 gallon totes for the roaches so they can eat a decent amount at times. Halloween was nice when a friend donated me all their pumpkins afterwards haha

Oh yeah thats gonna be great, around Halloween my mom brings about 20 pie pumpkins for me. My roaches will be living large :D And no, they won't be eating the pies, just the left over punkin bits, lol!

Back
Top Bottom