Chameleon hydration- am I being too paranoid?

rgentry83

Hey everyone. First time chameleon owners here. We’ve had our guy about a week and maybe im just being paranoid, but I don’t see this little guy drinking much after a misting. He’ll lick a wet vine every now and then, but not much else. I’m sure I’m being paranoid and he’s fine, but would love to confirm that with experienced owners.

Water setup currently consists of an automatic mister that goes off in the morning for about 45 seconds and coats the plants in his enclosure, but dries up by about mid morning. I’ll do another manual blast 1 or 2 times in the afternoon (same duration), but that’s the extent of it.

Anything additional I need to be doing to make sure he’s getting what he needs?

Hi. :) You’re not too paranoid for a chameleon keeper. lol 😂 Many chameleons are very shy and secretive about drinking. I’ve been keeping for 5 years and have several and I can’t count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen any of them drink. Look to the urate (light part of the poo) to determine hydration status. All white or mostly white with a touch of yellow on the end is fine. All dark or orange is dehydrated. You should really increase your misting to at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. If needed, you could add a short 1 minute misting in the afternoon. If you have a reliable cool temp below around 68 or less, you can set up a cool mist fogger, which simulates the hydration of the wild thru fog.

I am the same too. I worry mine doesn’t drink much. I spray as soon I get up and before bed. If I am working, I skip out hand spraying at night. He get a cup of ice to let the meted ice tricking down. I found he prefer that over being misted.
I would catch him drinking. Not always.

I cheat my way by offering hornworms or superworms. Or both. When I see my chameleon urates all white. Then I relaxed a lot. I do have Veiled chameleon, their humidity needs are not significant thankfully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom