Chameleon overheating or gasping for air?

Kimflores789

Hello. I've had my chameleon for several months already and recently I noticed that she opens her mouth. She is active and has a healthy appetite. Today I saw her open her mouth for a few seconds and closed it. I've only seen her do this twice. Once yesterday and once today. I am not sure if it is an RI or if she's overheating. I make sure her humidity and temperature is good, so I'm really worried about what caused it. She's always been a healthy chameleon. She has gotten a lot bigger and her colors are vibrant so I am not sure why she would start doing this. I am planning on taking her to the vet but I would like to hear your opinions.

Do you have any pics of her and her set up? It could be anywhere from her being irritated to there being an issue. 2x doesn’t sound right off the bat like ri but you never can tell. I can attach a husbandry form of you would like to fill it out and make sure everything is good for you and your little cham!
Plus I love cham pics lol.

Hi. As has already been said, your chameleon could be opening her mouth because she’s too hot, she could have a respiratory infection, she could be full of eggs which can affect her breathing, or she could be yawning (yes, they do yawn). So let’s start ruling things out.
What are your basking temperatures and what type of thermometer are you using to measure?
Is she holding her head up, like star gazing? Any noises from her (popping, wheezing, etc)? Have you noticed thick or ropy saliva? Is her breathing very visible, like it may be labored? What are your humidity levels? What do you use to measure them? Do you use a fogger, and if so, when? What type of enclosure - glass, screen or hybrid?
Has she ever laid eggs? How many and how often? Does she have easy access to a suitable lay bin?
Some current pics of her and her enclosure will be of help.

Back
Top Bottom