chameleon wants out

longguyland

i have a 5 month old tamatative chameleon who is seemingly ok only issue i have is lately when i open the door to feed or spray or what have you he seems to run up the door and outside of the cage. if i put my hand out he runs right on to it. Now ive read this means he dislikes his cage for some reason but when i take him out he seems to just want to be put on the table/clock/ seemingly just wants to explore, is this a cause for concern?

IMO a cage is not the natural thing for a chameleon. I have trees for all of my guys. I do understand that to keep them safe allot of people have to cage them. If you have a safe area free from other pets and children you might want to set uo a free range area for him.

My Cham did this when he outgrew his enclosure. He was in the 16 x 16 x 30. Right around 5 1/2 to 6 months I couldn't open the door without him climbing on top of the enclosure. It was fun at first but if I just wanted to feed him before running out the door it was very difficult. When I upgraded him to the 24 x 24 x 48 that stopped. I've had him in his new enclosure for a few weeks and sometimes it's tough to get him to come out to go outside. I don't want to stress him by forcing it so I'm just taking him out when he seemed receptive to walking on me.

Seymore did the same thing before I up sized . He came out one time while I was getting his bugs and when I turned around he was standing on the edge trying to reach the wall and he fell behind the desk . I had a heart attack and looked under the desk and he landed in a pile of dog toys and he was walking over them to come out. That was a hindsight kind of funny. It was not funny that day. Good thing my dogs are spoiled.

Lucky (9mo old veiled) is in a 24x24x48 and does this daily. Usually, he'll crawl up one arm, on to my head, and then down the other and go back in. Weekends and evenings he gets time outside, so I'm assuming he want's to go outside all the time, but we have other animals that would make a quick snack of him. Safety first. ;)

I have a panther chameleon named Mr.Googley who is 3 years old and he is in a 24x24x48 and everyday when I get home he is waiting at the door to come out for some "mommy time" as I like to call it. Then I have my 2 year old panther Columbus who would prefer not to be touched, period.

These "friendly" little ones are 1 in a million as we all know that chameleons typically don't like to be handled.

Back
Top Bottom