changing black spots

We were trying to add something new to our veiled chameleon's cage and as we were, the spots and stripes on him started turning black. What does this mean? We thought he was getting angry so we just stopped.

I believe you were correct! If you want to make adjustments, take the cham out first.
He is about 2 months old. He does not want to come onto our hands and his favorite place is tied through the screen cage. Hard to remove with him on there. The spots also turn black when he goes towards it and the vine is also black.

They usually get darker when they are stressed, mad , or scared. Try to lure him out withh some of his favorite food! Thats what i do. I usually grab a hornworm and my guys go crazy for them. So ill just keep bringing it further away from them, and eventually they climb right out of there cages and onto my hand then i take them out and give them the worm:) and i have a fairly big ficus tree by a window i place them in whem i am making changes to their enclosures.

Yeah i could try that. I just got home after being gone for a bit and hes on the vine(black) and his spots are black again. Can they blend in somewhat with things? Or at least try to? Or maybe he just doesn't like that vine!

Here is a picture of what i am talking about. He is on the vine that is black.

Attachments

• 20160307_152809.jpg
    20160307_152809.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 198
They do not change colour according tp their backrounds, it just looks kike something is making him uncomfortable. My male would change to those colours if he was cold, thirsty, or dry, he also gets darker when there are loud noises or people looking at him for too long. When he was younger, he would look like that everytime anybody but myself peeked in his cage. There are other reasons that make them uncomfotable as well, i would look into your setup, temp ranges and humitidy levels and make sure everything is just right for him :)

I will have to try some things. He did just get done shedding or pretty close to done anyway. He keeps rubbing his eye/face against a vine. Maybe shedding is still bothering him?

Back
Top Bottom