Concerned about plastic cage top

Loadout

Hi everyone.

I've had my veiled chameleon for about 2 months. I bought the cage they recommended in the store but am slightly concerned about the top. It is made of mesh and 9mm thick plastic. I am worried that the UV from my bulb isn't getting through because of the plastic. Is this normal?

Attachments

• P2130429.jpg
    P2130429.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 166
It looks like a acrylic fish tank to me. If you never plan on filling it with water you can cut the top pieces off. They were put on to support the sides when it is filled with water.

Acrylic isn't the best choice to use near high heat. It can give off some pretty nasty fumes.

Carl

Hi everyone.

I've had my veiled chameleon for about 2 months. I bought the cage they recommended in the store but am slightly concerned about the top. It is made of mesh and 9mm thick plastic. I am worried that the UV from my bulb isn't getting through because of the plastic. Is this normal?

the glass definitely does block uvb , if the glass is plexi than it is still blocking a lot of the uvb so your chameleon is not about to produce the d3 it needs to absorb calciu which unfortunately leads to MBD, i feel like this is an easy fix for you, just turn the bulb to be completely over the mesh, and put a branch under it within 6 inches so the chameleon can bask, also maybe give a few doses of calcium with d3 fora week to allow the cham to try and absorb calcium and then get on a good supplement regime. liquid calcium is the best way to go around Two drops orally per 50g weekly along with a infant liquid multivitamin like emphimil Poly-Vi-Sol, 1 drop per 100 g of animal weekly, this will also help prevent eye infections as well. use a powdered calcium like rep-cal with d3 a few times a month as well, anything liquid absorbs into the body 10x better than powder.

Hi everyone.

If the store recommended this cage setup I'd be concerned about the rest of the care info they gave you. Why don't you describe the lighting, humidity, and nutritional info they gave so we can check for other problems? Better to act now before your cham ends up with health issues. The plastic cover on the cage top was a major no-no.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't believe it is a fish tank because it also has a vent at the bottom. I moved the UV lamp around a bit and he has a few branches at the back there. How does it look? I will get him a vine to connect the branches at the back to the basking spot at the front.

Attachments

• P2130431.jpg
    P2130431.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 158
If the store recommended this cage setup I'd be concerned about the rest of the care info they gave you. Why don't you describe the lighting, humidity, and nutritional info they gave so we can check for other problems? Better to act now before your cham ends up with health issues. The plastic cover on the cage top was a major no-no.

Hi Carlton

I have been a lurker all this time and the info for my care came from this site. I filled out the ask for help form and would appreciate any feedback.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, Male, 2 Years old, Had him 2 months.
• Handling - Few times a week. He also has a Dracaena fragrans to chill in outside his cage.
• Feeding - Locusts and morio worms. I feed him around 5 every other day and give a few morio worms a week. I am looking to get him some silk worms too but they are awfully hard to find in the uk.
• Supplements - Calcium on every feeder. Calcium with d3 on one feeder every 2 weeks and multivitamin on one feeder every two weeks. All exo terra.
• Watering - I mist twice a day. He is in a glass enclosure and my home is quite humid so I felt this was sufficient. He also has a dripper. I have seen him drinking both from the dripper and whilst misting.
• Fecal Description - Brown and white
• History - He was in the pet store for 6 months.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Glass (Picture)
• Lighting - Exo terra 150w heat lamp with Sylvania Reptistar T8
• Temperature - Basking is 87-92f. Ambient is 72f. Measured with a Zoo Med digital thermometer.
• Humidity - I keep it at around 50%. When I mist this spikes to 70/80%
• Plants - Dracaena marginata along with some fake vines.
• Placement - In the corner of the room. No traffic or vents. Top of the cage is about 6 ft from the ground.
• Location - Scotland

It looks like a acrylic fish tank to me. If you never plan on filling it with water you can cut the top pieces off. They were put on to support the sides when it is filled with water.

Acrylic isn't the best choice to use near high heat. It can give off some pretty nasty fumes.

Carl

Thanks Carl. The heat lamp shines directly through the plastic and gets quite hot. Do you think I should be worried about fumes?

So do you have the uvb not shining through the plastic anymore? Can you cover the top with screen somehow?

So do you have the uvb not shining through the plastic anymore? Can you cover the top with screen somehow?

The uvb is now shining through the screen at the side of the plastic (see pic). The light does reach him at his basking spot through the mesh from here but it's 8 inches away which isn't close enough. I have ordered him a branch so I can put it under the mesh meaning he can access the UV properly.

Besides the fumes I'd be worried about it melting.

Carl

Apologies for misleading but I'm actually starting to think it's glass rather than plastic. An inconspicuous scratch test confirmed it :p

Back
Top Bottom