Containers and supplies

JennaMarie

Alright! I've decided to start breeding... crickets and silkies that is! I've done some research and want to make sure I've got it all right...

Crickets:
I'll need 3 containers: 1 for everyday cricket storage (which we already have), 1 for adults to get their groove on and lay eggs in, and 1 to raise the babies in. Is this correct? Or can I get away with 2? One for every day storage, and one for the adults, then remove adults and let the babies grow in the mating container. Also, will I need to supply any type of substrate for the crickets to lay eggs in?

Silk worms:
We have some right now (Yes! We somehow managed to grab some in this shortage! Wahoo!), that are growing. Once they hit the phase where they decide to start spewing silk out, I know I need to transfer them into an area where they can form their coccoons. I've read a separate container with toilet paper rolls works nicely. Can I use this same one for the mating once they emerge as moths and then to allow the eggs to grow in? And I know the moths don't eat or anything, but once the eggs hatch, should I place them in a separate container with the mesh and silkworm food? I read this thread... https://www.chameleonforums.com/silkworms-101-a-7906/index2.html and the information on life cycles is fantabulous, however I'm still a bit lost on all of the containers and when to switch etc etc.

Ya'll are wonderful, thanks for the help!!

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm leaving to start looking here in a little bit and want to make sure I'm looking into the correct stuff....

I'm sure you will get responses as people read this. It will take time right now because many people are at work, or like me at school.

Personally i gave up on cricket breeding, Too Smelly, and too many died cause of the constant maintenance needs, but i used large rubbermaid or tupperware bins. ( storage Bins )

Alright! I've decided to start breeding... crickets and silkies that is! I've done some research and want to make sure I've got it all right...

Crickets:
I'll need 3 containers: 1 for everyday cricket storage (which we already have), 1 for adults to get their groove on and lay eggs in, and 1 to raise the babies in. Is this correct? Or can I get away with 2? One for every day storage, and one for the adults, then remove adults and let the babies grow in the mating container. Also, will I need to supply any type of substrate for the crickets to lay eggs in?

Silk worms:
We have some right now (Yes! We somehow managed to grab some in this shortage! Wahoo!), that are growing. Once they hit the phase where they decide to start spewing silk out, I know I need to transfer them into an area where they can form their coccoons. I've read a separate container with toilet paper rolls works nicely. Can I use this same one for the mating once they emerge as moths and then to allow the eggs to grow in? And I know the moths don't eat or anything, but once the eggs hatch, should I place them in a separate container with the mesh and silkworm food? I read this thread... https://www.chameleonforums.com/silkworms-101-a-7906/index2.html and the information on life cycles is fantabulous, however I'm still a bit lost on all of the containers and when to switch etc etc.

Ya'll are wonderful, thanks for the help!!

I can help with silkies. Once they are in a cocoon location let them be until the very last to cocoon has been a cocoon for 3 days. Take them out of that location, and out of the tubes. Put them in a container about 4" deep with paper towels on the bottom. As the cocoons hatch into moths they will mate when there are male and female. Then the female will lay eggs on the paper towel. If you watch and see the females finish laying eggs you can feed the moths off to your chams, it you want. Put the paper towel with the eggs in a ziplock bag. put them in the frig for a month. Take them out and get ready to hatch them. You have a bit of time so I will cover that later.:)

I would help with crickets but after trying a bunch of times, I buy my crickets.:(

Back
Top Bottom