Cracked Skin?

mackie

my Chameleon seems to have cracked skin is this normal or do i not have enough humidity? maybe hes gonna shed soon? if anyone can tell from this photo please let me know...thanks for looking

Attachments

• crackedchameleon.jpg
    crackedchameleon.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,096
it's normal. i'm not really sure what it's from, but my veiled had that when she was younger and it seems as if she grew out of it. just part of their skin

my Chameleon seems to have cracked skin is this normal or do i not have enough humidity? maybe hes gonna shed soon? if anyone can tell from this photo please let me know...thanks for looking

My little guy has it too. It's very normal.. no need to worry. I have to say that your cham is adorable and looks very healthy! Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks everyone

I got him a few months ago and i worry about the moister levels because he lives in a big tank with a jumbo tortoise and the tort likes it dry.... also how big are the "spurs" a male should have on his hind legs is it? mine looks like he has two lil bumps but there real little? are they supose to be pointy at all?

mine still has skin like that they will grow out of it, and the spurs will grow when they grow and no they are pointy just little bumps and wait you said he is in the same tank as a tortoise????

i feel like this is a bit trollish but i guess ill bite anyways. you should get him his own cage.

I don't think that's trollish at all...it's not generally a good idea to have any other animal in the enclosure. As you've realized, their environmental needs are probably different. Of course, it the enclosure is HUGE it might be fine. HUGE involves measurements of many feet by many feet...not inches.

its more like a terarium

Its a verry large tank and the tortoise is not big and basically sleeps and eats all day...there is a good range in the tank from 72 to 82 and an extra lamp for the tortoise to bask under... they also live with a tree frog and and panter gecko and 2 annoles and 2 toads.... everyone seems to get along just fine actually but Im sure as the chameleon gets bigger he may wanna eat the annoles but I dont think they will live that long

yes, your chameleon WILL eat the anoles so if you like them as pets as I would be removing them soon. He may want to eat the frogs and toads too depending on the their size. A full grown veild can eat large prey. I saw on here one eat a hummingbird. Be careful as you don't know what they might eat and what may be poisonous to them. I know toads can kill dogs.

yes, your chameleon WILL eat the anoles so if you like them as pets as I would be removing them soon. He may want to eat the frogs and toads too depending on the their size. A full grown veild can eat large prey. I saw on here one eat a hummingbird. Be careful as you don't know what they might eat and what may be poisonous to them. I know toads can kill dogs.

HAHA, I KNEW you would post about the anoles! :p

But yes, i've had the same experience. Chameleons will eat (And really like) anoles. Be careful with that.

Last edited:
What kind of tortoise is this?? Sorry but you cannot possibly be fulfilling the proper husbandry requirements of a desert animal, temperate animals and tropical rainforest animals all in the same enclosure... How would you keep the bottom moist enough for the toad as well as dry enough for the tortoise? If nothing else how are you maintaing a temperature gradient just for your chameleon with additional heating on the bottom for the tortoise? 82 degrees is not warm enough for a tortoise. Not to mention the potential for parasite transmission and soon predation as your cham grows and eats the things smaller than it.

Its a verry large tank and the tortoise is not big and basically sleeps and eats all day...there is a good range in the tank from 72 to 82 and an extra lamp for the tortoise to bask under... they also live with a tree frog and and panter gecko and 2 annoles and 2 toads.... everyone seems to get along just fine actually but Im sure as the chameleon gets bigger he may wanna eat the annoles but I dont think they will live that long

Yeah, it seems cool, but this really isn't a good idea. The humidity and temps required are all over the place. Someone is going to be a fish out of water.........if your anoles live for a year they will definitely be edible before then. This would be bad for the anoles and bad for the cham too. Too much animal protein can cause problems.......

I have a little anole that snuck in the house and stays on my panthers cages. They haven't tried to eat him yet and he can't get in so I just let him stay. He eats those obnoxious little gnats that seem to spontaniously combust every few weeks. He's my gnatter! lol Gack! They drive me nutts! NO MORE BANANA PUDDING!

Back
Top Bottom