d3 question

playa0069u

Question: everyone says vitamin twice a month calcium with d3 twice a month and vitamin 2 a weak.... Is there any reason not to just use reptivite with d3 and calc without daily?

It depends on the brands you use. Reptivite with d3 is ok twice a month and calcium without d3 daily. Personally I prefer the three supplements. It's just a matter of choice. Does your Cham get any outside time? If so that would change things.

All depends on how much sun exposure he is getting and the amount of D3. The reptivite only has 10,390IU per lb I believe.. Which isn't very much...

Sorry for being lazy! I'm elbow deep in other work right now but I wanted to answer this. Taken from my supplement entry: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/03/chameleon-physiology-supplements.html

VITAMIN D3: Cholecalciferol, also nicknamed the “sunshine vitamin” is one that the body can synthesize in the skin when exposed to sunlight. It can also be consumed through diet, but in the case of reptiles, they count on basking to produce a significant amount of it. The purpose of vitamin D is to maintain normal, balanced blood levels of calcium and phosphorus in the body, and plays an important role in the absorption of calcium into the bones, helping them become stronger. It also plays an important part in maintaining immune system health.

There are risks associated with too much of this vitamin, which is why it is not recommended to supplement too heavily with this vitamin via diet. Too much of it will start affecting the nerves and muscles, and more severe toxicity will start to affect calcium levels; calcium will be highly elevated in soft tissues, such as muscles and kidneys, and begin to actually calcify these tissues, while debilitating the bones.

However, the body knows when to shut down vitamin D production in the skin, so it's much better/safer to let a good UVB bulb do most of the work and to use supplements as just that, supplements to fill in any gaps there may be. That's why we don't like to give D3 via the diet very often.

And too many vitamins in general via supplements can lead to build-ups and edema. Certain species are more sensitive to this than others. It's better to rely on strong gutloading and insect variety than on supplements in general.

Question: everyone says vitamin twice a month calcium with d3 twice a month and vitamin 2 a weak.... Is there any reason not to just use reptivite with d3 and calc without daily?

This is what I recommend to new keepers:
When your chameleon is young you will use plain calcium (no d3) at just about every feeding...... if you skip one or two days a month that's ok. You will also need Reptivite with d3 twice a month.

From my blog:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

This is what I recommend to new keepers:
When your chameleon is young you will use plain calcium (no d3) at just about every feeding...... if you skip one or two days a month that's ok. You will also need Reptivite with d3 twice a month.

From my blog:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

This is exactly what I wanted to do. I plan on getting him some outside time but he is brand new to the house (this week) and I'm tryna let him get acclimated. I'm currently using a reptiglo 5.0 but will be changing this month to a reptisun 10.0 because of the thick mesh on his apogee cage. Thank u so much

Back
Top Bottom