Dehydrated Panther

PrettyInInk87

Hello again, sorry but very new to Chameleons... My little guy is very dehydrated and have been misting and dripping heavily for the past 2 days. It was reccomended that I shower him but he is very stressed and am afraid i'll do more harm than good. Should I go ahead and shower him even if it means stressing him out more?:(

Yes, with some nice lukewarm water, 10-15 minutes. There are other ways of hydrating but I think they are even more stressful.

showering will help, I would suggest getting some Hydro-life in him ASAP. It's a product that zoo's use on their herps like gatorade for chams, I purchased mine at herpsupplies.com and works well.

i shower my chams in there cage with luke warm water with a spray bottle .If you dont have A drip tray you can form a temporary one with A shower curtain and let it drain into A bowl or bucket curt

Apon doing some more research and look through older threads I ran into a picture of a dehydrated Chameleon and is what my guy looks like. He was found in someones yard and I adopted him but I don't know if he's going to make it. He is VERY thin and I can count every rib on him... Also his eyes are sunken in.

I tried showering him and he did not like it at all. I made sure the water was not too warm or too cold and also made sure the water was not strong. He climbed off of the peice of drift wood and onto me. I even went as far and jumping into the shower clothes and all with him on my shoulder. He then tried to climb onto my head away from the water. His color got a little brighter but still a little darker than normal. I did see him drinking a little but I don't think it is nearly enough to get him to bounce back.

Apon doing some more research and look through older threads I ran into a picture of a dehydrated Chameleon and is what my guy looks like. He was found in someones yard and I adopted him but I don't know if he's going to make it. He is VERY thin and I can count every rib on him... Also his eyes are sunken in.

I tried showering him and he did not like it at all. I made sure the water was not too warm or too cold and also made sure the water was not strong. He climbed off of the peice of drift wood and onto me. I even went as far and jumping into the shower clothes and all with him on my shoulder. He then tried to climb onto my head away from the water. His color got a little brighter but still a little darker than normal. I did see him drinking a little but I don't think it is nearly enough to get him to bounce back.

Did you put him in the shower with a plant or anything?

Yes, I put him in with a peice of drift wood and a fake plant... As soon as I got him near the water, he wanted out. I was afraid he was going to fall so I let him climb on my shoulder. He is very weak...

Yes, I put him in with a peice of drift wood and a fake plant... As soon as I got him near the water, he wanted out. I was afraid he was going to fall so I let him climb on my shoulder. He is very weak...

Hmmmm.....they drink off of leaves and might need to feel more secure. I usually put a whole ficus in the shower so he can find cover and feel comfortable when drinking. This way you can leave him in there and he can do his thing.

I just got an offer from someone... She offered to hold him for me and nurse him back to health while i'm able to find a proper set up for him. I think i'm going to cry... There are still wonderful people out there willing to help. I really don't want to lose this little guy, I have gotten SO attached to him.

If he is dehydrated hand misting him in his cage is fine as long as you do it lots. Also try dripping some pedelite on his face and try to get him to drink. If none of this works take him to a vet for fluids.

You could try to get him to drink from an eyedropper, have you tried this? Don't squirt the water down his throat, but let him drink it normally. I do this with my chams now and then to make sure they're getting enough water. If you dangle the drop of water in front of him, and he's really thirsty, he should go for it. Good luck.

If you are thinking he's dehydrated because his eyes are sunken in it may not be the case. It might be that he is very sick. Can you post a picture of him please?

How does he behave in the cage? Is he eating at all?

Also, I would house it in a room away from your own panther until you find out what's wrong with it.

If you are thinking he's dehydrated because his eyes are sunken in it may not be the case. It might be that he is very sick. Can you post a picture of him please?

How does he behave in the cage? Is he eating at all?

Also, I would house it in a room away from your own panther until you find out what's wrong with it.

this is her only panther....there are no others.....

Yes, I only have one Cham, thanks Ace. :)

I honestly don't know whether he is sick or dehydrated but I had someone offer to take him in temperarily and nurse him back to health, I won't mention her name just because i'm not sure if she'd be ok with it or not. She called her Cham's Vet. and hopefully will be taking him in on Monday. I CANNOT express how thankful I am and i'm sure she's doing this for Charles and not so much for myself. I was so afraid he would be taken from me. I still can't believe it... She's a wonderful person and am glad there are people like her out there. :) Thank you to all of you who have been here with your useful information. For the mean time I will be getting his proper set up going and will be ready for his arrival back home. Let's keep out fingers crossed and hope he pulls through.

Oops, sorry. I didn't answer your questions...

No he has not eaten and I tried feeding dubia roaches and crickets. He is very weak and can barely move, walks with his eyes closed and kind of searches for something to grab onto with his "hands". I have quite a few pictures posted in previouse threads of mine if you would like to look at all of them.

Hi! Put him on a plant in the shower.Don't aim the shower spray directly on the plant. But aim the shower spray so it's hitting the side of the shower and bouncing off of that onto the plant..it is more indirect so he's not getting hit with any force. I usually make the water temp so that it isn't much hotter then my wrist. I call it the baby bottle test. As he's getting his shower..shut the bathroom door and let him hang in the steam for 20-30 mins. If you have to do it daily till he's hydrated then that's fine.

It sounds like he needs to go to a vet ASAP.

(BTW..I should have said I'd keep it away from your other reptiles, not panther.)

Last edited:
Well for now he is in someone elses hands. She is experienced with Chameleons and has quite a few herself. She gave him a 15 minute shower tonight and is now waiting to get back to her Vet. tomorrow morning by phone call, the office is closed until monday. I will keep you guys informed and updated as she gives me the updates. I have confidence in what she is doing with my little dude. Thank you!:)

Back
Top Bottom