Dehydration

Sambam247

hello I age. A male panther chameleon he’s about 6-7 months old and his uraties are quite orange and I don’t think he’s drinking I mist quite often but I never see him drinking has anyone got any suggestions at all?

Also he’s been sleeping on the floor of his cage for the past week is this normal?

Sleeping on the actual flat floor? Yeah, that's really not a great sign. Can you post a picture of him/his enclosure? If he is dehydrated, which it sounds like he is, his eyes will be sunken.

Can you fill this form out along with uploading some pics?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He’s a male panther chameleon about 6-7 months old
I handle every other day where he roams outside on ropes
I feed him locusts that I feed with spinach or kale with repashy superfood superload
I hand mist all of the time and I haven’t seen him drink in a long time
His feces looks normal but his uratates are orange

His enclosure is glass with a mesh top 3.5ft high 2ft wide 1 foot deep

I have 2 uv lights exoterra 25watt
1 infrared exoterra
1 basking light

His basking light temp is 31 c
At night it’s 28 c

I have a humidifier I put on every day at it stays at about 60-70

1 live ficus but it’s only a suckling

Cage is in my bedroom near my window no traffic as I live high up fairly quiet

I live in London England

Thank you for your help

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
Yeah I fed him worms a few times but I heard they weren’t great for him ? What else should I be feeding him

Also he has got nails does this picture help at all

View attachment 207542 Yeah I fed him worms a few times but I heard they weren’t great for him ? What else should I be feeding him

Also he has got nails does this picture help at all
Ahh gotcha! But, you should do hornworms and silkworms! Good in moisture wise, it can help him with hydration nice and juicy soft worms. Some people feed those a little more often if their cham isn't a big drinker. You can also do superworms, crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae! :D I hope this can help you! But yes the picture helps definitely!

He’s a male panther chameleon about 6-7 months old
I handle every other day where he roams outside on ropes
I feed him locusts that I feed with spinach or kale with repashy superfood superload
I hand mist all of the time and I haven’t seen him drink in a long time
His feces looks normal but his uratates are orange

His enclosure is glass with a mesh top 3.5ft high 2ft wide 1 foot deep

that is great

I have 2 uv lights exoterra 25watt

That is half ok, theses curly bulb are not the best but he is not gonna die, be sure you replace theses bulbs every 4-5 month (i suggest you the t5ho 5.0 in the long term you will save money because you can replace your two bulb by this one large tube and chance every year)

1 infrared exoterra

that is ish ok, do not buy this basking bulb again (this colour of wavelengh is not awesome fr chameleon, for mental healt of your cham you can go with a regular basking bulb (the green box of exo-terra with a chameleon in the box is great and safe)

1 basking light

His basking light temp is 31 c

good!

At night it’s 28 c

Not good, at night chameleon need a "temperature break" so add a night drop, you can go down to 15 degres if you want! if your tempertures are high during the night your chameleon gonna dehydrate and have poor sleep quality and metabolism problem (this can lead to lot of problem in long term)

I have a humidifier I put on every day at it stays at about 60-70

Good but bad at the same, high humidity + heat = higher probability of respiratory infection, also a high % of humidity all the time lead to fungus and bacterial invasion in your terrarium what you want is humidity fluctuation (again same than natural environement so hight % of humidity at the morning/night but lower during the day when the sun is up) . One good way to avoid this and to keep you chameleon hydrated is to put your fogger on during the nigh when the basking bulb are closed in addition to the night drop

1 live ficus but it’s only a suckling

no big deal! that cool, i prefer a cages packed with real plants with bioactive stuff but this is not critical! :)

Cage is in my bedroom near my window no traffic as I live high up fairly quiet

I live in London England

Thank you for your help[/QUOTE]

Welcome! i hope it help! if you want, you can add a dripper of an automatic misting device like reptirain, monsoon or mistking this can help but if you add a night drop (temperature) and put your fogger on during the nigh i this this can help :) gook luck keep us update!

Also i haven't see anything about what is your ambiant temperatures in the cage? my chameleon go to the basking spot about 2 hours a day max, the rest he stay ambiant temperatures so 24-26 ;)

Not to be rude, but "Hand misting all the time" isn't a detailed description of your watering schedule. Especially in a glass cage where you'd probably need some sort of false bottom if you are watering enough. My Panthers get about 7-10 min misting non stop early when lights just turn on and it's still cool(also, chams tend to drink more at this time). And then I have a 5 minute misting an hour before lights out. I get that glass cages keep the humidity higher, but several minute misting sessions are still necessary. Your chameleons eyes are sunken in as well. Chronic dehydration can cause long term kidney damage. So I'd try to get him water asap

Back
Top Bottom