Delilah, your suffering has ended.

Smiley

Today, the little veiled I attempted to rescue finally got peace from her suffering. When I got her, she had severe metabolic bone disease, a respiratory infection, two infected eyes, and was frail and lethargic. I didn't want to see her die in a pet store, so I took her home to try and give her a better chance. She knew love and kindness for the two weeks she was in my car, and actually developed a personality. She was brighter, her eyes were open, and she was accepting insects and drinking water on her own. She passed away in warm, natural sunlight, and was displaying great color that day.

She will be missed tremendously, and I hope she knew that she was wanted and respected. I literally stayed up all night caring for her on more than one occasion, and I even made myself sick with stress about getting her better. My efforts were in vain to recover her, but I feel good that someone at least gave her the opportunity and care she deserved. She was a great girl, strong and courageous, and had such a sweet disposition given how poor her life had been and all the pain she was in.

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you did a wonderful thing by trying to save her! I wish there were more people out there like you!! Rest in peace little Delilah.:(

I am sad to hear this. I am so sorry for your loss. I was hoping she would make it. At least someone tried and cared about her. May she now rest in peace.

She was cared for and comfortable for the time you had her. At least she was in a good place at the end, and now she is in a better place. Delilah RIP

touching story...your efforts were not in vain, just imagine if she had spent those last two weeks in the pet store. Its pet stores that do things like this that make me sick and have an opposition when they sell reptiles and animals in general. Anytime an item because "commercialized" and sold for a profit margin, it immediately begins to lose value. This is what is happening to Chameleons. Their popping in pet stores like corn snakes and customers are given simple, basic general care that doesn't fully cover their proper care. I remember I once heard an employee in a petland say chameleons just need a heat bulb as far as lighting goes. Its sad, but I just wanted to say thanks for the effort of saving her. Its something we all wish we could do.

Sorry, now it is time to enjoy a longlived healthy one. If you are any where near me in VA or taking a vacation this summer to VaBeach, please stop by for a free one of your choice. All rescuers have a free credit in my opinion.

Thank you all for your kind words. I am very happy that I did take her, although she didn't make it, it was a much better end to what it could have been, and she has a good resting place under our lemon tree. I am a dog trainer at the store I got her from, and I am working with the companion animal department manager to educate both her, and the associates at our store on chameleons.

I wish I lived in VA so I could take you up on that offer. I'm on the other side of the country in CA. I do want to raise a healthy baby though, and have a full set up ready that I was going to use for Delilah of she got better.
Unfortunately there aren't many people that are willing to take on sick reptiles. I think the majority have the idea that they don't want to spend $$$ at the vet for an animal that costs $50. I spent well over that on her vet care, when I could have bought a healthy one , but she definitely needed it more.

Back
Top Bottom