Digging, Help

lilDucky

I have a lil baby Cham and Im not sure what she is doing. She keeps digging in the dirt but she is still a tiny baby. At first it looked like she wanted out but nope, just digging in the dirt. why do they dig? I need help and its driving me nuts.

she is a veiled, still tiny and young. he legs are great and she eats and is active. she just started this not that long ago and i have no idea what she is doing. just digging away, but she will walk all over and do it. normaly she like to hang out in her tree, but she is running all over today digging. what in the world is up with her. shes lost her mind lol

If she was 5-6 months old id say she was making a nest for egg. under 3 months old i have no clue.

When you say dirt, what kind of setup do you have? Is she digging in a potted plant, do you have dirt for a substrate. Im not quite sure how a cham could get access to dirt in a proper setup. Potted plants should have big rocks covering the dirt, and floors should be bare.

she has dirt stuff in the bottom, its this stuff they sell at petco for Chams, its not real dirt but soft. they told me it is good for her and that they do dig. she is between 16 to 20 weeks and was in with a bigger cham when I got her. idk if they can get prego that young or lay eggs.

5 months old is enough to lay eggs. They are like chickens, they lay eggs no matter what, even if they are all duds. I think she is fine but she will need a deep dirt nest that is moist to lay the eggs. At least 1 chameleon body deep. Im not sure what your dirt is, it could be orcid bark ,or cocnut fibers.

Normal chameleon egg nests are a wetish sand and peak moss mix that is a foot deep.

i think its choco fiber, they said it was ok though and it not bothering her. I tried to find out if they knew her age but all i get is somewhere between 16 to 20 weeks, so idk. she digs in the corners and along the edge. she has rootted up the whole place lol. at first i thought maybe she wanted out. cause she likes to come out and sit on me. she will even reach up and grab for me when she hears my voice. how do you know when they laid an egg? will you see it or do they cover it up.

when i had my young female she usta do this, but i always thought it was because she wanted to come out if i opened the viv she stopped straight away an climbed onto me , i also had coco fiber but got ride because i was scared of impaction, she grew out of it, but carnt say if this is the same situation.

thank you that is good to know Katie, thank you for all your help guys. I guess im just a worried mom. she has a dirt pile in the back, im going to check latter to see if she did lay eggs. if not maybe its just her learning to get ready too. Im glad to know she is not the only lil girl doing that:D

and i do keep it damp, i found if you put ice cubes on the top also it will help in between the misting too.

Can you post a picture of her on here? I cant see your avatar very well, but it appears she is rather small.

What are your basking and ambient temperatures like?

If that is a recent picture, and that is a veiled, that is not 16 to 20 weeks. I would say more like 6 to 8 weeks, but it is hard to tell. My little one actually dug in the substrate a couple of times before I removed it, and it appeared that he was searching for food. One time he actually buried himself under it and scared the poop out of me! :eek: I thought he was dying or really sick, but I think he just took a nap. (I know this should be cause for alarm, but when I moved the substrate he was active and right back to the top! Never did it again and I didn't give him the chance.) I got rid of the substrate. (HINT, HINT...)

I would love to see the enclosure as well so I could offer advice if you want. ;)

She is very active still and i thought maybe she was digging at one point cause a worm got loose, i got her from petco and i talked to the manager to find out her age and thats what he told me. But she is really small to be that old. most pics I see of lil chams her size are only like 9 weeks. I have to go back in today so ill see if i can find out more. And i will post more pictures of her. I only have a couple so far:D

here are a couple pics of her

Attachments

• 378798_510666735618322_568451424_n.jpg
    378798_510666735618322_568451424_n.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 598498_510683478949981_1182230879_n.jpg
    598498_510683478949981_1182230879_n.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom