? DIY Reptile Vines ?

brandi1218

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make simple, stable, and safe (emphasis on safe) vines for my future veiled chameleon. I have seen people braid nylon or hemp ropes together, buy vines from the dollar store or pet store (which I am a little too new to pick one that is seemingly safe and they are a bit pricey), and even cut some from their own yard. Does anyone have any ideas or DIY tutorials that they could share with me. Thanks for taking the time to read my enquiry!!!

I cant seem to find the article, but i did see one.
if you take any kind of flexible "rope" material, you can cover in black silicone, and press eco-earth and moss into the silicone. I have yet to do it myself, but plan on using this method in the very near future. Ill be using 1/4" and 1/2" black poly tubing so i can add a misting fixture to it, 2 birds, 1 stone? lol

I made some before with some spare air hose for a fish tank.. shove a metal coat hanger inside so you can bend it however you like.. cover it with silicone and substrate...

Voila!

I just take branches from trees outside. You clean them and can set it up anyway you want. No money spent except the cleaning materials.

If you're going with what Rob says, which is the simplest and cheapest way, be sure to strip all leaves and sanitize them by baking them in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 3 hours, this will kill all parasites. Also be sure not to use any toxic plants. Here is a list if toxic ones http://www.chameleonsonline.com/toxic-plants.php . Good luck!

Thank you all for the super ideas! I'm so excited to finally get my enclosure all set up, I'm going to make an attempt at the silicone/subtrate idea. If all else fails, baking some branches may be plan B. I have tons of sugar cane behind my house, do you think I could use some of that if I dry it out for a few weeks then bake it? I assume since people can eat it that its not toxic, but I'm not sure if that applies to chams too. The last thing I want is to jeopardize Bows health and wellbeing before he even gets here.

P.S. Does anyone know if Chameleons Northwest is any good? Was thinking about getting a 4-5month old veiled from them, but I can't seem to find any reviews good or bad...

Back
Top Bottom