Does anyone else's chameleon bask laying on their side?

FFSTRescue

My WC adult female Oustalets basks on her side. She lays on the top of her ficus like its a bed, on her side (she switches sides), and basks that way. I freaked out when I first saw it because I thought she was dead on top of her tree! She is a new Oustie to me, though I am not new to Ousties, and none of my others have done this. She has made a "bed" out of one area on top of the tree, she just changes locations to face the sun (she's outside, gets about 90 degrees in the sun, if not, I turn on a basking bulb). Every time I go near her, she jumps up, so I can't get a picture. It is the oddest thing I have ever seen. She's healthy, alert, etc, but showing gravid coloration. I have another gravid female Oustie that does not do this. Does anyone's chameleons ever do that? Is it an instinctive gravid behavior to warm the underside for egg development?

My WC adult female Oustalets basks on her side. She lays on the top of her ficus like its a bed, on her side (she switches sides), and basks that way. I freaked out when I first saw it because I thought she was dead on top of her tree! She is a new Oustie to me, though I am not new to Ousties, and none of my others have done this. She has made a "bed" out of one area on top of the tree, she just changes locations to face the sun (she's outside, gets about 90 degrees in the sun, if not, I turn on a basking bulb). Every time I go near her, she jumps up, so I can't get a picture. It is the oddest thing I have ever seen. She's healthy, alert, etc, but showing gravid coloration. I have another gravid female Oustie that does not do this. Does anyone's chameleons ever do that? Is it an instinctive gravid behavior to warm the underside for egg development?

I had a male verrucosus who did this. I also know that gravid females spend more time basking so maybe this particular cham is simply showing an exaggerated basking behavior.

My panther does the same thing. When hes basking he will turn on his side and alternate every once in awhile. Its kinda funny to watch actually lol. He's healthy though so I suspect Its just a little quirk.

Melea continuously did that when she was gravid with her babies. I have also noticed that when i give her a few extra feeders as a treat once in a while, she basks on her side, as if trying to compensate for the extra intake.

Back
Top Bottom