Don’t ever feed your feeders non organic!

CryptKeeper

Established Member
I received 100 differential grasshoppers today and didn’t have any organic veggies around so just tossed in some romaine lettuce, carrots, celery in there for now. Within 45 minutes every single one died. I spoke to a breeder (who frequents here) and he said that’s got to be from pesticides. Even though I washed them you can’t get it all off.

Glad I fed my Cham 2 big ones before they got to eat any of the veggies. But what a loss!

Here’s some pics. I feel bad they’re all writhing around. He said even being near the food can kill them, which obviously happened here I doubt every one ate some

Attachments

• IMG_3789.jpeg
    IMG_3789.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 6
RIP stinky nasty crickets. :(
@ChamelaChameleon you don’t get totally freaked out by the grasshoppers? What about the big adult ones? Also, what’s the dark round thing in the back of the cage?
I am totally freaked out about grasshoppers but they really don't try to escape. The space is too small for them to fly. Their ability to take flight is limited. It's more like a hop with a push. They congregate around heat and food. .

The round thing Is a rubber gasket. It opens and closes. i added the gasket to the enclosure for easy access. But it was really useless since they rarely try to escape. The adults are really calm. I've had a few escapees but I catch them with tongs before they realize they have room to fly. I have a butterfly net just incase I need to catch a flying escapee. I never touch them. They are mostly stagnant.

I am totally freaked out about grasshoppers but they really don't try to escape. The space is too small for them to fly. Their ability to take flight is limited. It's more like a hop with a push. They congregate around heat and food. .

The round thing Is a rubber gasket. It opens and closes. i added the gasket to the enclosure for easy access. But it was really useless since they rarely try to escape. The adults are really calm. I've had a few escapees but I catch them with tongs before they realize they have room to fly. I have a butterfly net just incase I need to catch a flying escapee. I never touch them. They are mostly stagnant.
Ok. I’m trying to gather the courage to get some and maybe breed my own. I’m sure my chams would enjoy them and it would be a nice change from ‘the usual’.

Ok. I’m trying to gather the courage to get some and maybe breed my own. I’m sure my chams would enjoy them and it would be a nice change from ‘the usual’.
They will love them! My cham hasn’t been eating much since he got sick (which he’s good now just took him for a follow up) but still not eating a lot. Once I put 2 of these guys in there and they were pretty damn big he slurped them right up! I got them once before but much smaller and he loved them and still does. Rex never moves around that much but he went chasing after these guys today. I feel bad he’s gonna have to wait now at least a week to eat more lol. They’re really nutritious too and yeah they’re expensive but you feed them less than you would crickets so I think in turn you save money. 100 would last probably 2 months at least of adults.

I was also planning on breeding but people I live with are talking me out of it. I also only have one chameleon so might be overkill having 100s or 1000s of babies lmao I asked khai to just send me feeders with the money I sent him instead for the breeders.

I was also planning on breeding but people I live with are talking me out of it. I also only have one chameleon so might be overkill having 100s or 1000s of babies lmao I asked khai to just send me feeders with the money I sent him instead for the breeders.
I have 5 chameleons, 4 leopard geckos, and 2 beardies, so I try to breed my own feeders whenever possible. Besides cutting down on expenses, I like having the perfect size feeders for each animal. I’ll have to check with Khai.

I have 5 chameleons, 4 leopard geckos, and 2 beardies, so I try to breed my own feeders whenever possible. Besides cutting down on expenses, I like having the perfect size feeders for each animal. I’ll have to check with Khai.
Awesome yeah highly recommended and just cool to see them hunt the hoppers and boy they get big! Really good staples for them. And yeah if I had that many I’d be breeding my own too. I spend enough on one Cham lmao

I've been feeding grasshoppers for almost 2 years. Bottom line cost makes them cheaper. The benefits out weigh the cost. Ther are nutrient dense, make no noise, require no water. There is usually very little die off and they can live a very long time. I usually order 50 a month. I might have two or three die. Most of the time I allow them to grow . Once they are 2 inches, I feed them off. A meal of 1 o2 every other day is a good feeding amount.

I've been feeding grasshoppers for almost 2 years. Bottom line cost makes them cheaper. The benefits out weigh the cost. Ther are nutrient dense, make no noise, require no water. There is usually very little die off and they can live a very long time. I usually order 50 a month. I might have two or three die. Most of the time I allow them to grow . Once they are 2 inches, I feed them off. A meal of 1 o2 every other day is a good feeding amount.
At what size do you buy them? And who do you buy them from? Care if I DM you?

Back
Top Bottom