Doughnut Gravid eggbound?

JGuinan007

Avid Member
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Doughnut is Gravid/has eggs she is about 9 months old I thought she was I had a laying bin in her cage for a week and she hasn't gone near it.
20160127_200115.jpg
20160127_173214.jpg
20160127_173432.jpg
20160127_171839.jpg
20160127_173438.jpg
20160127_172251.jpg
20160127_173209_001.jpg

Yah she is definitely gravid. Give her some space don't even let her see you unless you have too, and she should use her laying ben real soon just be patient.

You need to leave an egglaying container in her cage all the time so she has a place to dig to lay he eggs.
When she is digging, do not let her see you watching her or she will likely abandon the hole. If she abandons it often enough she can become eggbound.

If she shows signs of going down hill get her to a vet ASAP.

You need to leave an egglaying container in her cage all the time so she has a place to dig to lay he eggs.
When she is digging, do not let her see you watching her or she will likely abandon the hole. If she abandons it often enough she can become eggbound.

If she shows signs of going down hill get her to a vet ASAP.

My girl is the same! I literally have an identical cham, looks exactly like yours and is around the same age. I worry that she is egg bound too because she started getting her gravid colors over a month ago and she still hasn't used her egg laying bin that I set up for her underneath her cage. The floor of my cage has a hole cut into it so she can make her way into the aquarium full of dirt/soil. The walls of the aquarium are covered so there's no way she could see me checking on her. She had gravid behavior too (going around the cage constantly looking for a place to lay). Now she doesn't seem so restless and just chills on her perch near the top of her cage all day long. I know she hasn't laid because she wasn't covered in dirt and she wasn't skinny and extinguished from laying. Idk what to do :/ I have heard they can be picky and might not be okay with the laying bin that I have set up under her cage but I don't see why not? it's plenty big and dark. I hope she doesn't get egg bound and have to see a vet for it :(

Still no luck everything is how it should be I dug a starter hole now she does not even to to the bottom of the cage in the laying bin not eating

20160221_085230.jpg
Just wanted to update this. Yesterday she finally went down to the laying bin and started digging her tunnels. Today she is still at. It is strange to me that she showed her receptive/gravid colors right after new years and it has taken her all this time to lay. Is this normal it seems like a really long time to me. Is there like a 3-4 week receptive period and a 3-4 week gravid period?

Last edited:
Some where I read veileds can reabsorb their eggs and I was begining to think this was going to happen it took her a long time

I ment I noticed her receptive colors and behavior started on New Years and thats when I put in laying bin but she did not lay until feb 20-21 that's about 8 weeks is that normal?

If mated do they lay less? I may try that. Do you know anyone in South eastern PA/Philadelphia area with a male veiled they are willing to stud?

I ment I noticed her receptive colors and behavior started on New Years and thats when I put in laying bin but she did not lay until feb 20-21 that's about 8 weeks is that normal?

I think when you first thought she was going to lay that was when the eggs were just beginning to be present as tiny follicles and she was ready to breed. My Panther did the same thing I thought she was ready to lay but she never did and now 4 weeks later she is now digging and ready to lay now.

Back
Top Bottom