Drainage?

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
what’s your guys thoughts on tilting the enclosure to drain into gutter vs drilling holes and having a drip pan under enclosure ? I’m setting up my new setup

I used sink drains without overflows works great. Did it on three cages and all drain in one bucket.

For DIY I found it easiest to drill holes (middle and edges) in the bottom and elevate the cage on small risers (PVC pipe cut to 2-3inch pieces) and then use a washing machine drain pan which needs to be vacuumed out. The best solution however is dragon strand drip easy trays.

Here's mine:

PXL_20210918_125458386~2.jpg

what’s your guys thoughts on tilting the enclosure to drain into gutter vs drilling holes and having a drip pan under enclosure ? I’m setting up my new setup
Lots of ways of doing things; have you perused the Drainage Thread?

Many/most use a drain/drip pan/tray of some sort—draining into a bucket that can be emptied periodically. Aftermarket drain pans (or washing machine drain pans, drip pans, drip trays, etc.) can be gotten in metal or plastic, with drain fitting included. Depending on the design and the pan, pan dimensions may sometimes need to be slightly larger than the enclosure to adjust for pan profile, catch overspray, etc.

That said, you're right—some pitch is usually needed somewhere. My enclosure sits right on top of the pan, so I tilted the whole thing—enclosure, drain pan, and the table they sit on—with 1/4" shims (1/8" per foot) under the back feet of the table. The tilt of the enclosure is hardly noticeable, and only from the side.

The amount of weight on the floor of your enclosure may also be a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom