dubia food?

I feed my dubia fruit and veggies. They love bananas, apple, orange, pear, collard greens and butternut squash.

I second the fruits and veggies. Mine usually have carrots, snow peas or snap peas, sometimes applesauce, and a variety of other things. I don't think it's much if any of a price outlay; I just divert a handful of stuff around the kitchen to them (but we tend not to eat our produce fast enough, so generally have some to spare). I wouldn't go with cat food; that's formulated for obligate carnivores (which Dubia are not), and may be a bit high on the protein side for both the roaches and the animals to whom the roaches are to be fed.

What is the best cat food to feed my dubia colony?

the best one would be NONE at all.
Vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts.... that's the best thing for them to eat, assuming you are going to feed them to a lizard.

If you have to use an animal food, use a low protein low fat avian (bird) pellet or a high veg low meat dog food.

I think you have to look at what you are actually feeding the roach to. In this case a Chameleon. Roaches are naturally higher in protein than crickets and mealworms and generally an all around better feeder. I personally don't think that you're going to harm the Chameleon by grinding up a mixture of chow and offering it to your Dubia, but it just may not be as beneficial to the Chameleon as gutloading them the way that other members have suggested.

So much protien causes gout in chameleons, I think that's a pretty good reason not to use cat food to gut load.

Old thread

I feed mine oranges and bee pollen to sustain the colony, when I am ready to feed them off I seperate them and feed them cricket crack, dont feed them cricket crack unless you plan to feed them off because calcium kills them.

The protein is needed to sustain the colony of roaches.

Speaking for the health of roaches, you want to get a high protein staple for them; I've heard ferret food is very high in protein.

I personally use a high quality koi fish food, a summer blend which is high in protein for when the koi grow in the warm weather, bee pollen which provides all the amino acids needed to make their own protein, and brewer's yeast which is very high in protein. I sometimes use spirulina but there is a lot of that in the fish food.

Make sure you offer your chameleons worms from time to time. Silkworms and Butterworms that is.

You can afford to by selling off extra roaches ;)

dont feed them cricket crack unless you plan to feed them off because calcium kills them.

I didn't know that the calcium in the cricket crack can kill the roaches. I thought I read a post from another member who mentioned they always have a supply of cricket crack along with fresh veggies and fruits.

Michael

I didn't know that the calcium in the cricket crack can kill the roaches. I thought I read a post from another member who mentioned they always have a supply of cricket crack along with fresh veggies and fruits.
Michael

You probably did read such a post.
If there was that much calcium in the crack, it would kill the crickets before it would kill the roaches.

Back
Top Bottom