Dubia Roach Breeding Question

I use the moonlight bulbs and just mount the light underneath the tub facing upwards. That way it's adjustable and I don't overheat them. I'm not a fan of the heating pads. The bulbs are like 4$ and last a long time. Works great for me!

To keep my colony warm, I use a seedling mat that I put the bin on. Keeps my guys at 85-90 and they breed like crazy. Here's a link to the seedling mat page on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=seeding+mat
Ooo, I like the looks of that seedling pad! I use 2- 4 inch heat strips spaced underneath the 4 66 quart tubs I use for breeding the roaches. That gives them the choice of cooler or warmer areas within any given bin. They breed very well under these conditions, it's 80-90F. Heat is definitely the major factor.

I don't use any heat besides putting my colony bin near a radiator. My colony keeps growing and growing. I have no doubt that if I did use a heating pad of some sort, my colony would be much bigger. I'm fine with the slower growth as I have a single chameleon.

I just use zoomed but prefer to use Ultratherms or Heat Tape because you just attach them with tape if you want to put them on the side, they also use less wattage naturally, and can be removed safely.

FYI roaches are nocturnal and will do better if you can keep them in the dark longer than in the light. I keep mine under a table so the lightest it ever gets is semi dark. On the other hand all that for a single chameleon!
You just haven't told your spouse your true future plans have you?

FYI roaches are nocturnal and will do better if you can keep them in the dark longer than in the light. I keep mine under a table so the lightest it ever gets is semi dark. On the other hand all that for a single chameleon!

It's funny you mention that... I actually hung a curtain block out the light during daytime. :D

Since my Cham goes to sleep so early I need something to do after my kids go to sleep... So, now I have a big farm! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah mine do not like light at all. They go nuts when its completely dark. Mine don't even like the moonlight bulb form exo terra lol

Back
Top Bottom