dwarf transgendered veiled chameleon?

chamfreak24

so about a week ago my friend who owns a petstore said "would you be interested in adopting todo?" so of course i jumped on the oppurtunity. todo, now irwin is a tiny chameleon prolly about two or three inches. his gravid sister was about 5 times the size of him, and his brother about ten.. he has tarsel spores on his feet, but a small crest and horizontal bars like that of a female. he hasnt grown since he was a few months old, but was giving optimal care, and grew up in and lived in a cage with his borthers and sisters when he was young.. who are now like a said above 5 to 10 times his size.this morning he was displaying the blue yellow and dark dark green color of a gravid female... whatever sex he is he sure is funny.. he eats fine and now i have him in a ncie cage with both uva and uvb lighting. he in perfect health, i just want to know what the heck is up with him. and yes im positive it is a veiled. and would it be able to live with a pair of pygmy chamelons? if there just a tad smaller then him? hes also about 2 years old.

No, it's still a veiled and veileds generally prefer to be solitary. If it indeed is that small (and not just from a different clutch) he may have some underlying health issues, or he may be just fine and needs a little extra food. I had a small panther who has really started growing, but is still the size of a typical 6-7 month old even though he is over a year old.

Post pictures of the whole chameleon, the back feet, and as many different colors/patterns that he shows as you can.

ohh sorry i forgot an important fact. its about two years old, and he gave it to me for free, so im pretty sure he was positive that it wasnt from a different batch.

nope that was a different guy, i will post some pics in a few mins. he seems to be doing great eats like 8 crickets a day for now, gets around rlly fast.

/Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6252./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6257./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6256./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6249./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6247./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6240./Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 19, 2010/IMG_6239.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpg
    IMG_6257.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 346
Its a male. He is extremely emaciated and dehydrated. You need to make sure he gets plenty of food and heavy misting. You should talk to a vet and possibly get a fecal done to check for parasites.

Chris

You can see his vertebrae, pelvis, limb bones, joints, etc. His eyes are sunken and his skull is showing indentations where there are windows in the skull. You should not see any of that in a healthy animal. All those are signs of extreme emaciation and dehydration.

Chris

yes.. he is pretty skinny, because we got him from a pet store a like a week ago. you over exaderated it quite a bit, he is a kind of skinny and a bit dehrydrated, but we have been watering and feeding him regularly. i think extreme emasiation and dehydration is a huge overstatment.

I dont think it's an overstatement. The chameleon really does look (pretty darn severely) emaciated and dehydrated.

Well for what it's worth here we go. Your chameleon is sick. It is malnourished and very dehydrated. You are lucky that it has survived this long. I understand that you acquired it from a pet store, so obviously this is not entirely your fault. But the fact that you are here looking for assistance, displays that you are aware there IS a problem of some sort. You have been given advice from one of the most knowledgeable members of this forum, what you decide to do with the information is up to you. Please don't demean accurate statements from those TRYING to HELP you. Your cham needs adequate nutrition, proper hydration, and a vet visit. You may be doing things better than the pet store, but this cham needs more. From the pictures you have posted, his color is poor, and his joints appear to be swelling. These are signs also of renal dysfunction which is very painful and potentially life threatening. This would be caused from improper/ inadequate hydration over the course of time, not an acute problem. It will not be reversed in a week. No one here is blaming you, just trying to help you with your cham. Good luck.....

honestly just take Mr. Andersons advice he knows what hes talking about! Why come on the forum and ask for a questions and tell the people who are helping you they are wrong? Gosh

yes.. he is pretty skinny, because we got him from a pet store a like a week ago. you over exaderated it quite a bit, he is a kind of skinny and a bit dehrydrated, but we have been watering and feeding him regularly. i think extreme emasiation and dehydration is a huge overstatment.

That was not a "huge overstatement", regardless of whatever you think. If you don't see just how emaciated and dehydrated he is, you're kidding yourself. Considering how much smaller he is compared to his supposed clutchmates, this should be of no surprise. You clearly know very little about chameleons considering you can't see this and wanted to know about keeping it with pygmy chameleons so you might consider doing what is best for the animal and listen.

Chris

He is in poor health how many times do they have to tell you. if he wasn't in bad health then how come most others dont look like him. And trannsgendered, Ha come on! NO you dont have some new breed 1 million dollar lizard.

I don't think coming to a message board and asking questions of experienced keepers, and then telling them they are wrong really makes any sense....

That animal needs water, food and should be kept alone, in it's own cage. Take the cham to a reptile vet so it can be checked out.

If you don't take the advice given, the animal will die. This isn't to scare you, just the truth.

Back
Top Bottom