Egg binding (dystocia) in Jacksons chameleons??

Andrew27

This question isnt an emergency or anything, just a simple question. I know they are live-bearers, but can Jacksons chameleons get dystocia even if they arent bred? My jackson chameleon has never been bred, so does that mean she is 100% risk free of getting dystocia?

Live bearing females can still form infertile "egg sacs", so I assume the answer is yes, they could have difficulty expelling the "slugs" and so need medical attention.

I will say that the "slug" thing seems to be uncommon.

I would say, she's unlikely to develop slugs but it's not 100% by any means...we've seen several stories about it in the time I've been here.

If she's been in an enclosure with a male (and do you KNOW she hasn't?) then she might actually produce live babies. I don't really know how the "retained sperm" thing works with "birther" chameleons or if it even does.

Live bearing females can still form infertile "egg sacs", so I assume the answer is yes, they could have difficulty expelling the "slugs" and so need medical attention.

I will say that the "slug" thing seems to be uncommon.

I would say, she's unlikely to develop slugs but it's not 100% by any means...we've seen several stories about it in the time I've been here.

If she's been in an enclosure with a male (and do you KNOW she hasn't?) then she might actually produce live babies. I don't really know how the "retained sperm" thing works with "birther" chameleons or if it even does.

I have not seen any signs of her being pregnant, I was just asking. I am pretty sure that she has not been with a male, but no I am not posistive. Atleast never with me. The guy I got her from (when she was young like a year or less) said she had never been with one. I have been with her a while though,ike several months and she doesnt look gravid at all now. How would you prevent a female from having these infertile slugs (assuming she hasnt been bred)?

Jackson's are often wild caught and shipped here in large groups. Because of that I assume any female has been mated. It's sort of the safest assumption because it's better to be surprised something doesn't happen than surprised when it does.

As I said, the infertile slugs seem to be uncommon. I do not know if there's a way to prevent them. It's possible that by restricting the diet a bit and lowering the temperatures a bit you might convince her body that she's not in a good place to have babies...I'm reluctant to tell you to do that because, as far as I know, it's not been addressed with live bearing chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom